New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 lap mag-am i doing something wrong?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just fired my Sako trg42 338 lapua magnum for the first time today, and it was so smooth i wonder if i did something wrong? the load was 90,0 grains Vectan Tubal 8000 suggested by Nobel (a french powder, about like Vit N165 i think and about the only make you can get in spain and then only by running powder and primers across the border from France!!!), Sierra 250 grain boattail spitzer, CCI 250 primer and Norma case. It has a muzzle brake, but it is SO much less recoil than my Sako 338 win mag i feel i must be missing out! Do i need to go up to 50bmg??? Does anyone else find the same with this calibre? I really did not expect this at all.

Posts: 60 | Location: Spain | Registered: 20 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
julianmb,
Welcome to the forum! I haven't fired a 338 Lapua, but I can tell you the muzzle brake will make a large difference in the amount of felt recoil. I once fired a friend's 338 Win without, then with the brake--what a change! It felt like a 25-06 with the brake. So in answer to your question---you probably aren't doing anything wrong. [Smile]

Good Hunting,

[ 12-04-2002, 02:41: Message edited by: ACRecurve ]

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Julian, I believe it is the muzzle brake making all the differance here. I have a Sako TRG-S in 338 Lapua without the muzzle brake, and it kicks a LOT more then the 338 Win Mag. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote