New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 Rem Mag Hornady 180gr XTP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have handloaded this bullet over the past year using 12grs of blue dot and have had good results on pigs and general target plinking.I'm now wanting to load this bullet for deer and would like to increase charge/velocity. Last night I loaded 40 rounds using 25 grs of 2400. This is my first load in the caliber that is compressed. I have 7th edition of the hornady manuel and it lists a starting load 20.8 to a max of 26.6. My concern is if this load will be safe in my marlin 1894 cowboy. Input please

Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far. -- Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
My concern is if this load will be safe in my marlin 1894 cowboy.

Can't say. QL calculates 39,400 with the 44mag being 36,000 max. If had been me I would have started lower for my 629. As to the 1894 I have no clue.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never loaded 2400 with 180gr bullets I always used H 110 the few times I loaded them.

Now 2400 is kinda like H4831 as it has changed over the years.

If I were you I would load up a few with 23gr, a few with 24 grains and shoot them before the 25 grainers.

It never hurts to be safe by starting out low and working up.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Are you sure you want to push a 180 XTP at rifle speeds for deer.?

This was a chart Hornady put out to show the range where each bullet is effective.

I'm not sure if a 180 will hold together going fast out of a carbine. You might not get the penetration you desire on a deer sized critter.

Personally,.I'd step up to the 200 or the 240 for deer.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I will take the advise to load a few at 23 and 24gr and look for signs. I know its a light bullet for the speed im pushing but i had around 50 left and wanted to see what i could do. Im staying within limits of hornady min/max, my main concern was that this data was correct and i would be safe shooting them through my marlin, iWONT be shooting these throguh my 629.

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
This was a chart Hornady put out to show the range where each bullet is effective.

rotflmo That chart might explain why some of my 210gr .41 bullets fried from my 400PDK and SEVERAL 100fps faster than that chart never reached the target. Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of paia
posted Hide Post
Whenever I shot 180's at anything near max in my Marlin 1894 I found the muzzle blast and flash annoying as hell. My deer hunting load for years now has been the Hornady 240 grn XTP with 21.0 grns of 2400. It chronos around 1750 in the 20" barrel and the deer don't like it at all.

I suspect 25.0 of 2400 w/180's will be safe enough in the Marlin, but it won't be pleasant...JMO

Posts: 16 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
my guess its gonna make a real big hole comming out! Big Grin

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input paia. I tested these loads today, recoil was managable but it did have a big muzzle flash, ill use these loads for hog, and ill pick up a box of 240's soon and load them for deer. thanks