New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Anniversary Kit
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was thinking about buying one of these kits as i am on a budget. I am going to be loading for my 223 and thought i might use Lee Collet Dies with this kit as i only will reload for this gun. What experiences have you all had with these kits/Dies any info on Accuracy on this particular round using these set-ups would be appreciated too. I want to load 40gn V-max or 40gn Nosler BT because i do alot of Fox shooting and want to keep the fur.
Mick.

Posts: 25 | Location: South Australia | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like most Lee stuff I've tried. That press is all you need, strength-wise for collet dies, and you can always make it a "second press" if you upgrade. You get all 11 shell holders, which is handier than paying $4 each time you need another one. The Lee powder measure performs better than my RCBS. The Lee powder scale is the best bargain out there. Maybe not the most swell and easy to use, but best for the money. Lee's book is worth reading.

I can't tell you about the Lee Auto-prime.

Lee's trimmer doesn't look like it's easy to use, but I guess you won't be trimming that often if you use collet dies. RCBS makes a very good trimmer. Cases are locked against a plate with one motion, and that flat plate is parallel to the plane of the cutter blade edges, assuring squareness of cut. Stay away from the Forster trimmer. It's a cute idea, but its collet shell holder slips off case heads, and there's no good way to assure the case mouths are trimmed square. If the collet slips a tiny bit, you won't know it until you get a trimmed case back that's too short on one side.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just bought one myself, and they are really good value. Have reloaded my rounds but are yet to get to the range to test them. A mate talked me into the kit as he owns one to reload his .223 and shoots groups less than an inch at 200 all day long. He uses 55 grain HPBT and Benchmark 2 (not sure of his charge). Very happy customer.
Cheers.

Posts: 90 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I started I, also, was on a budget and went with the Anniversary Kit : a good value. It has loaded thousands of rounds of 45-70, 35 Whelen, 44 spl/mag, 45 LC, all of them reliable and accurate loads.

Since then I have got a couple friends interested in shooting and, to feed the increasing habit, have upgraded to an RCBS Turret press. I do notice and appreciate the difference in the quality but the Lee still has a place on my bench.

Had I listened to some advice that said to wait until I could affor better I might not have started, as there are always bills to pay, etc. Get the Lee kit and start loading; consider others later on if necessary.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi, Weatherby. I bought the kit a year or so ago and so far load only .44 and .357 magnum cases. Here are a few thoughts:

1)If money is an issue, Lee is the way to go. I have no doubt that other companies offer products which are superior in certain ways; but I reload in order to be able to afford to shoot, and the high prices of these other products would defeat my purpose.

2)The Lee press works fine, and is probably the best tool in the kit, in my view. If you buy the kit, lubricate the press ram regularly to avoid premature wear to the sleeve. I use silicone spray; I'm sure there are better choices, which I probably will try once I learn of them.

3)The Auto Prime tool is OK, but Lee says that it is unsafe to use with any primer with softer cups than CCI or Winchester. The reason is that if a primer detonates in the Lee tool while it is being seated(and this is more likely to occur with a softer cup than with the harder ones used by CCI and Winchester), there is nothing in the design to keep it from detonating other primers in the tray, which will turn the tool into shrapnel. So if, like me, you want to use Federal, Remington, or other primers, I would advise getting the RCBS tray-fed tool. It has a steel arm which separates the primer being seated from the rest of the primers in the tray. It is only around 20 dollars or so. It isn't perfect(I had to make a modification or two to improve its operation), but I feel safer using it.

4)Count on a little aggravation with the powder scale and measure. The scale can be difficult to set to zero, and my measure has to be tapped each time it drops a charge in order to get all the powder to drop. I'm going to call Lee and ask for suggestions.

5)The primer pocket cleaning tool is nothing to write home about, in my view. Mine doesn't seem to get into the shoulder of the pocket where the wall of the cup seats. Since it is an inexpensive tool, I may look for a better design elsewhere.

Just a few thoughts from an inexperienced loader. Others will be able to supply better information and provide a different perspective than I have -this is just my opinion from using the tool for awhile. Wish you well in your purchase; let us know how things go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the press that comes in the Anniversary kit, and have used it and the Perfect powder measure for a couple of years. As nearly as I can tell, they work as well as anything you can get. Sure, the iron ones are stronger, but I have not yet figured out why I need more strength than I already have.

There is one big weakness in the press, which is easily fixed. The "toggles" are made of zinc, and they will eventually crack under stress, near where the handle attaches to them. The solution is to buy the links from the Progressive press, which are MUCH stronger. You'll need two each, part number TP2128, $3 each. You will also need a new lever, part number TP2105, $5. With these new parts, your press will comfortably load all the ammo that you, your children, and their children will ever want.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with all the above posts. Lee is fine for those entering the hobby.

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies Guys! I am going to buy this kit as it seems like a bargain and i dont shoot alot of rounds anyway. Like 100 every couple of months. Just was not happy with the Factory rounds(not enough selection over here).
Cheers...
Mick [Big Grin]

Posts: 25 | Location: South Australia | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote