New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you mix headstamps?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been reading a lot of old posts about 223 brass. I've got some bulk brass for my 223 with mixed headstamps. Does it really make that much of a difference? I've never mixed headstamps before and will not be doing any competition with this rifle. The only problem is see is that is reminton and lake city brass and from what I've read here, those two have some differences. I may just trash the remington brass and stick with lake city if it doesn't perform for me.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you use it for. If you are rolling blasting ammo for your AR15, it won't matter. If you are brewing up accurate Pdog loads for a bolt gun, it probably will. Diff. brass have diff. case volumns.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that's what I thought. I will probably stick to lake city or winchester. I've never had much luck with remington brass. The use will be informal target shooting so accuracy is mandatory. Brass is too cheap to cut corners here.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Only in 9mm...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do I mix Headstamps?

No.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the AR15 5.56mm loads I will mix headstamps for plinking ammo. In my 8x57 I get excellent results with mixed brass, it really doesn't matter.

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I mix headstamps in 30-06, 308, 6.5x54, 7x57R, 9.3x72R, 348, 220 Swift, 8x57 R, 8x57 S, 9.3x57 and .284.......and hunt satisfactorily with all.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What fredj338 said. I also try to use the same lot numbers for each loading, as I've found weights between older brass and newer brass lots to vary almost as much as the differences between brands.

Posts: 179 | Location: No. Idaho | Registered: 23 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried different brass with otherwise identical loads in 30/06 and .222 Rem. There was in most cases a different POI of several centimeters.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will not mix headstamps as the difference in internal volume results in different pressures and velocities which also result in different points of impact.If you normally shoot 2moa or 3moa groups you might not notice but if you shoot moa or better this will be apparent.Also if you shoot maximum loads,using a case with less internal volume will cause higher pressure,that could be a problem.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE GUN.....I had (this is no B.S.) a BAR with a boss. It was a .270 win. I could mix far beyond headstamps. I could shoot 1.25" groups out of mixing 130 grain, 140 grain and 150 grain bullets. GO FIGURE!! I should have never sold that gun and wouldn't have if they'd have had the crf attachment instead of that damn boss that killed my ears during hunting.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote