Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm carbine load
 Login/Join

posted
ok guys. I need help figuring out a load for a hi point 995 carbine. This is the only 9mm I will load for as it is the only 9mm that I have. This is my primary HD weapon so I will be keeping a few K on hand for SHTF/last second range trips wife's plinking habits etc. so what do you all reccomend for some loads? Loaded for handguns and rifles...yes, pistol caliber carbines....no? any suggestions/tips/pitfalls I need to be aware of?

TIA
Chauncey

One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
I know I will be flamed for it, and I apologize, as its the "Reloading" section of the Forums:

9 mm?

Get factory ammo.

Cheaper one for plinking and practise, better one to stuff away.

I DID reload for the 9 mm. I settled at about the "Luger Load" ( from Lapua ) for my plinking. ( from MEMORY: 4.3 grs of VV N 340 with a 124 grs L Bullet )( translates to 320 m/s with a 8 Gramm bullet )

But those cases are so SMALL! And factory ammo so cheap ...

Sorry, Guys, I LOVE reloading, but 9 mm is so commonplace and so much diversity ...

H

now if somebody tell´s me the equivalent of the .452 H & G # 68 in 9 mm I might remedy my opinion ...

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 339 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
OK, Guys ( and, hopefully, Ladies ) some facts:

there may be reasons to reload the 9 mm. If you have a problematic gun, or a scarce one ( ---> Luger load ) or want nice, round holes, or are prohibited HP´s, so you want to use a SWC!

In a sturdy Carbine, energy is there! Hardly anybody ever complained about a subgun´s stopping power, even in 9 mm. ( not everytime there were multiple bullet hits, don´t forget, that "standard" ( = standard military ) fodder gets to .357 ( < 4" ) energy levels in a carbine! )

Also you might run into pressure signs much earlier ( = lower ) than you think, compared to pistols!

If you have the chance, get Fiocchi 100 grs TCHP, HP 95 grs TCSP, IMI 115 grs "Match" FMJ, ... or use any, in the US easily obtainable, Premium HP´s. In a Carbine, 9 mm SP´s might be an Idea?

Don´t buy in quantities lower than 250 rds ... better 1000 rds for plinking ammo! I know, some will laugh at my quantity recommendation, but here Ammo isn´t as cheap as in the US ...

H

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 339 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote