New
Find
Notify
Tools

H-S Precision stocks
 Login/Join

<mark s>
posted
I'm having a Win. Model 70 stock replaced and would like here some feedback. My Smith tells me McMillan is on back order more difficult to get. He recommended H-S if i don't want to wait. Is H-S ok compared to McMillan? I appreciate your comments.

<Big Stick>
posted
Not even on the same page. Happily await,the excellence of the McMillan. You will smile in the long run..............

one of us
posted Hide Post
H&S is a good stock. I have one on my PSS, and I like it quite a bit. It is a very rigid stock, no flex. I skim bedded mine over the bedding block, and it didn't seem to make much difference, so it would seem the bedding block system works pretty well. (it was a sub half inch rifle before, and sub half inch after). McMillan is a good stock. I have had a couple of them too. They are more money, plus I would recommend you pillar bed the McMillan, so that kicks the price up even more. Just so you know, H&S dosen't make a short action mod.70 sporter stock. They make a short M70 varmint, and a long action M70 sporter.

Posts: 373 | Location: USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

McMillan stocks are better, but I see nothing wrong with H-S Precision stocks. We use quite a number of them, and never have any problems with them at all.

I will be happy to use one.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67041 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally own 2 McMillan stocks, the M40 and the A3. When it comes to adjustable stocks like the A3 with the integral cheekrest and 3way butt I just can't think of anything being better. When I placed both my orders a year apart I was told 6 months was the norm, but both stocks arrived in slightly over 6 weeks. So they say it's a long wait but in my experience they are quit a bit faster.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<gone hunting>
posted
you can most likely find the McMillan stock you want without going through McMillan.
as for Quality why do you think McMillan is so back ordered. speaks for itself

------------------
born on a mountain, raised in a cave, hunting and fishing is all i crave!

<Bill T>
posted
Mark S: I purchased a H&S Precision Stock for my Remington 700 Safari Grade in .458 Win. Mag. when the factory Walnut one supplied with the rifle split at the tang in just 40 rounds. I called H&S Precision directly and they told me which one I needed, as well as how to install it. They even recomended that I purchase it from Midway, because they could sell it to me cheaper than they could factory direct! How that for being up front and honest? I've been real pleased with the stock, even though I'm no fan of synthetics. I just can't stand their looks over nice Walnut. Bill T.

<JCCD>
posted
What makes McMillan stocks better than H-S Precision? I have a H-S Precision on my Rem 700 Varmint and don't see how it could be any better. Is the H-S more subject to warp or break? Is it made out of lesser quality materials than McMillan?

<Mike Anderson>
posted
I don't own a McMillan so I can't compare the two. But I have been wondering why everybody always thinks they are better than HS. Are you basing this on appearance, toughness, what is the basis?

I personally don't see how you could make a stock any more rigid than the HS stock. With the bedding system it provides a very good strong contact action to stock add some bedding and you can get a very good fit.

I do think the finish of their stocks could be better.

With the results several of us are getting with HS , Produces my question, how do Mcmillans shoot that much better?

<Bill>
posted
I don't like the way HS treats customers. They gave me and freind the same song and dance about two different stocks we ordered, big fiasco with them. I have talked about it elsewhere on the forum, I will never do business with them again.

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
McMillan stocks are nice. I have five of them, but I cannot compare them to H-S. It appears that they do compare in their customer service department to H-S. Kelly McMillan won't win any customer service awards. He is about the worst person I have ever delt with business wise. He is no Gale.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When is good not good enough????? I have an HS on on of my rifles and am very pleased. I have never had a Mcmillan. How is the Mcmillan so much better than a HS? or are we leading with our pocketbooks again? Oh, fyi, the fact that someone is backordered can mean many, many things. Not all of them good.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
I own both and have restocked a few others.

HS Precision: The early ones were junk! Quality control problems I was told. This was in their early years. The New HS Precision has improved their products greatly. For a drop-in, the bedding block concept works very well on most of the models offered. You may run into problems if your mass produced rifle is out of specs in the action area; the spacing of the action screws in relation to the recoil lug. I have not had this problem myself, it can be remedied with some bedding work.
As for their customer service they have been great to me. I've dealt with 3 different persons - all good!
HS Precision stocks are a little heavier than comparable McMillans if weight is an issue. HS does not build superlight-weight hunting rifles if thats important to you.

McMillan offers far more models in more configurations and colors than HS. So McMillan appeals to a larger variety of shooters.
McMillan can build you a stock with different weights, materials(fills,kevlar,graphites) and colors more than any other synthetic stockmaker.
A McMillan stock, pillar-bedded, fitted and detailed properly will please most shooters. Alot of shooters(weekend warriors) have not seen their gel-coat marble stocks. No two are alike, that makes them unique! My McMillan stocked rifles are always head turners at the range. I will post some pictures for you guys when I'm set up to do so.
McMillan's customer service is fine if you are patient. Throw an attitude and they will throw one back. Treat 'em right and you'll be fine. They do need to revise their catalog as to options available(types of fill, action inletting- models, ordering color combos etc)
McMillans waiting period is reasonable if you stop and realize they build and supply alot of stocks, mostly custom made to order!

Bordens Rimrocks are probably the best of the three listed but not by much. A limited amount of choices but what they do offer is first class indeed. Jim builds a damn good stock! Expect to pay more of course!

These are my thoughts on the subject. sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
We are comparing who make the better girl friends....blondes or redheads. They are both good stocks...I like the McMillan better because of a larger variety of styles and the way they feel...good balance,etc. The only problem I have with H-S is the texture of the stocks...I just don't like the rough feeling. They also feel a "little angular" to me but it's all personal preference.

Let me add that depending what kind of rifle you have and what style stock you want you have two choices for getting a stock quickly...(1) go to the McMillan web-site and click on "web-specials" or (2) go to www.tacticalstocks.com and browse.

[This message has been edited by DB Bill (edited 12-23-2001).]

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote