New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Is Sierra in denial ????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just how in the hell do you get a job as a "bullet designer"? Study aerodynamics? I need to go to school!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I had a long talk with Sierra a few months ago and got the impression that they are very busy doing what they do well. ... Sierra is no longer a young company and it seems that they are satisfied with the way things are going. ... I wish to thank the Sierra company for what they do. Sierra is a fundimental part of modern rifle history.

Hey Don. Nice post. I agree their Management is some of the older folks around the industry. They did do well when they realized not so many years ago that Califoney was not the place to be for a Firearms Product related manufacturer.

I also have excellent results with all kinds of Sierra Bullets. I really enjoy their consistant accuracy for Benchmarking a rifle or when it is time to pull out the "BBQ Loads" and see who buys supper.

Obviously there are lots of great bullets available to meet the demands of an Elk shoulder from a 378Wby at 50yds and no one should have trouble locating one which has excellent "Elk Accuracy and Stopping" potential.

---

On the other hand, the complacency of that "older management" is not good for the overall health of any company. Just look at the Barnes, Hornady, Nosler, North Fork, Speer, Remington and Winchester product lines of today. Then compare them with what they were making only 5 years ago. You will see healthy, growing companies who are constantly challenging their Design Engineers to - design better bullets and do so with more accuracy.

Sierra's Management needs to challange their Design Engineers, or step down and get people in those positions that will.

Any company that appears to be standing still is actually backing up.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Oh no, Doc. I would never call you a liar. Especially in cyberspace. But if you will read the other post, you will find a consensus of experiences that are contary to yours. Perhaps your "testing" was faulty.

Maybe my testing was faulty, but it sure seems to work for Nosler, Speer, Barnes, and Swift. I know and have known that Sierra's quality control is second to none. That is why I was so surprised over the years that I wasn't getting consistency out of them. Even the guys in Tucson that taught me how to reload said, "start with the Sierra's, not the boat tails, but the flat based spitzers."

So, that is what I did, every time I bought a new rifle. I use only Redding Bench Rest or Forester dies. I spend hours with brass prep, play with seating depth, change primers, powders, charge weights, etc. Even when I seat the bullet, I do it in thirds: I begin to seat, back the cartridge out, spin it a third of a turn, seat a little more, back it out, turn the round a third, then finish seating the bullet all the way.

I don't know how else I could be more precise with my loading skills.

Bottom line is, as I said before, I didn't have the same luck with Sierra's as you all, plain and simple.