THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Anybody hunt with 30 cal 180 gr Horndy RN?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have used them on deer..They certainly penetrate well..and they work good on broadside shots leaving nickle size exit holes...

Any difference between a RN and a spitzer in killing effect is in the mind of the beholder..A couple of one shot kills proves nothing...I have used both for years and I see little difference, it all depends on the construction of the bullet..

RN bullets do not shoot as flat, if thats a factor which I doubt..

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My father will not shoot anything in his m99 300 savage except 180 round nose bullets. I must admit it is a hammer on deer. A few years ago he bonked a 500+ lbs black bear, breaking both shoulders in the processes. He has even killed a few elk with the load, although I finally convinced him to use his 3006 for elk. If I knew my targets would be within a couple hundered yards a round nose would be perfect. You didn't mention the cartridge you are going to shoot it in, but a 300 savage up to a 300 win would be fine.

Posts: 135 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any comments apprecicated.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobertD
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind when using this particular bullet, the Hornady 180g RN from a 30-06, you only get about 50 to 70 yards before you have dropped below the min terminal velocity for this bullet. This particular one was made for a 300 Win Mag or faster velocities.

No one ever mentions terminal velocity, yet many bullets impact at either velocities higher than their max design limit or lower than their design limit.

RobertD

Posts: 269 | Location: East Bay, CA | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Premium Spire points perform better at all ranges, BS. How can you tell? A good RN bullet behaves perfectly pushed within it's design limits and perfectly can't be improved on. Inside 200 yards the RN corelokt's and Hornady bullets work perfectly wherein I have had the so called premiums show the worst performances when pushed fast a close range. Consider the Barnes X bullets, how many reincarnations do we need before they figure that one out?

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Terry,

About 20 years ago I shot a spike buck at 10 feet with a 180 gr. Hornady round nose from a 30-06. I hit the deer right behind the front shoulder. The entire off side of the deer was blood shot. I couldn't find an exit hole of any kind and I never found the bullet.

The '06 was loaded hot!!! The deer went down immediately, however, the fact that I couldn't find any exit and never having found the bullet, turned me off on the Hornady.

That's the only experience I've had with the Hornady.

Almost forgot...The round nosed Hornadys always proved to be very accurate.

Good Shooting,

Smoker

Posts: 178 | Location: Pennsylvania - USA | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With Quote