New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mounting my press.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was checking out the varmint huntin forum and a gentleman was asking which press was best, as he was just starting to load. There were some replies dealing with the press "flexing", and I thought about my press set-up.

I have my press mounted on a Black and Decker workbench type thing. I got it at Costco. I thought it would be great for saving room and I can also take it with me to the range with all my loading components. It sure saves a lot of time running back and forth to the range while working up a load; I can just get it accomplished in one trip.

But here's the thing. The Black and Decker table "flexes" when sizing a little bit. The table top is plastic and bends if you have to use some force on the handle of the press.

I wonder if it effects anything since the entire press moves a little with the bending of the tabletop. I don't think the press itself torques.

Does anyone have any input. A solid mount would probably be best, but I like the versatility to load at the range.............

one of us
posted Hide Post
The flexing of the bench should have no effect on the action of the dies on the cases, provided the flex is not so great as to prevent pushing the case all the way home.

You'll be happier with a more solid platform, however. There are any number of threads here on AR on loading bench designs. Some are massive stationary hulks, while others are small and portable. Some designs are pretty clever. Do a search and you'll probably come up with some useful info.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also use the Black and Decker Workmate, but I have my press and powder measure bolted to piece of 3/4 inch plywood which I clamp to the Workmate. Works just fine

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
When mounting your press, watch out for the de-capping pin!! YOW!!!

sofa

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Frowner

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before you clamp your Rockchucker to the Work-Mate, bolt the press to one of these:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eprod...id=239916&t=11082005

It stiffens it up considerably. You also want to use an extra "C" clamp to clamp the wood down near where it bolts in, there's a considerably amount of flex in the mounting bolts. I find it much more convenient to mount the press to the "back" side of the Work-Mate, i.e. the side without the step and vise handles. You'll have easier access to the press and can fit a trash can under it. Just use plenty of "C" clamps to stiffen everything up.

I have presses mounted on real workbenches also but I tend to use the Work-Mate mounted one far more just because it's so much more convenient. My results have shot just as well as those where the press was mounted on a 500lb bench...................................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike_elmer:

sofa

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Frowner

I knew that someone would capitalize on that....good one, wise guy!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have (6) presses mounted to a 3' long 2"x6" board:
(3) Lee reloader presses
(1) RCBS Partner press
(1) RCBS Rockcrusher press
(1) Forster Co-ax presss

The presses are mounted to the board with sheet rock screws and washers.

The board is mounted to the bench with clamps.

I sit in an office chair.
The priming, trimming equipment, and Rush Limbaugh radio is mounted to another bench to my left.
The scale is on a shelf behind me.
A magnifying fluorescent lamp on articulated arm is mounted to the press bench.
The powder measure is mounted to a bracket that is mounted to an unused press with an unused die and nut.
The Rockcrusher is not mounted on the side of the board, but on the end, so torque reaction is to lift the board, rather than twist it. The leverage of the Forster co-ax is much better, and can make huge internal forces with small force to the handle. That means the Co-ax puts little force on the connection to the board and the board puts little force on the clamps that clamp the board to the bench.

What does it all mean?
The rock crusher does not get used much anymore.
The Dillion and Lyman turret presses are in boxes, not getting used at all.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Admit it, you didn't even try to resist! You better stay behind that couch or someone is going to throw an egg at you! Wink

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The priming, trimming equipment, and Rush Limbaugh radio is mounted to another bench to my left.

Don't you know that exposing your primers to an oily mist can ruin them?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
quote:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Admit it, you didn't even try to resist! You better stay behind that couch or someone is going to throw an egg at you! Wink

No! No!... I really did try to resist!!! I read the post 3 times... and then, I just couldn't hold back!!! It was AWFUL!! hilbily

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
Does anyone have any input?

Many who use the WorkMate discard the all of the adjustable stuff and simply bolt a table surface to the frame. I mounted my press directly to the frame (through the top) to avoid any flexing in the wooden surface.

I would believe that all you're losing with your arrangement is a little bit of press feel, i.e., not being able to distinguish between the loading process and the bench flexing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Many who use the WorkMate discard the all of the adjustable stuff and simply bolt a table surface to the frame. I mounted my press directly to the frame (through the top) to avoid any flexing in the wooden surface"

I agree. I found a piece of scrap aluminum 1" thick and bolted that to the workmate frame as a solid top, then drilled the paterns of my presses' mounting holes in the aluminum. Now I can quickly interchange any press with long cap screws and wing nuts. It will still fold too.

When I want to perform any press function away from my normal loading station it's now a snap.

Posts: 41 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

I think that the way it is is probably OK. I actually used a white plastic cutting board underneath the table to try to take some of the flex out of it in the beginning and after all the input think it may be just fine the way it is.

Like I said, the metal on the press doesn't flex, just the tabletop.

Thanks for the help; I enjoy the forum.

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
(3) Lee reloader presses
(1) RCBS Partner press
(1) Forster Co-ax presss

The presses are mounted to the board with sheet rock screws and washers.

The board is mounted to the bench with clamps.

I sit in an office chair.
The scale is on a shelf behind me.
A magnifying fluorescent lamp on articulated arm is mounted to the press bench.
The powder measure is mounted to a bracket that is mounted to an unused press with an unused die and nut.
The Rockcrusher is not mounted on the side of the board, but on the end, so torque reaction is to lift the board, rather than twist it. The leverage of the Forster co-ax is much better, and can make huge internal forces with small force to the handle. That means the Co-ax puts little force on the connection to the board and the board puts little force on the clamps that clamp the board to the bench.

What does it all mean?
The rock crusher does not get used much anymore.
The Dillion and Lyman turret presses are in boxes, not getting used at all.

Why so many presses? So you don't have to keep switching out dies?

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James Kain:
quote:
(3) Lee reloader presses
(1) RCBS Partner press
(1) Forster Co-ax presss

I got a rockchucker 10 years ago, and then wanted to load at the range.
I wanted to load one case over and over to see the accuracy and length of life of once case.
That was allot of screwing in and out of dies.
So I got the other Lee dies.
I would:
decap in the Lee
size in the rcbs
prime in the lee
seat in the lee

I did not get any better groups with just one piece of brass.
The threshold of short brass life is best measured with extractor groove growth in one shot.

I still had all those presses.
Then I saw the partner for cheap.

Then I sprung for the Co ax.

Now everything is done in the Co ax or partner, and the 3 Lee presses and Rockchucker are ignored.

What does it all mean?
5 presses can be mounted on a 3' long 2x6 and clamped to the bench. They all work fine. If someone has fewer presses, the system would still work fine for press mounting.

The board of presses can be moved to another bench in the living room in front of the TV for doing 10,000 rounds of varmint quality .223.

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
(3) Lee reloader presses
(1) RCBS Partner press
(1) Forster Co-ax presss

I got a rockchucker 10 years ago, and then wanted to load at the range.
I wanted to load one case over and over to see the accuracy and length of life of once case.
That was allot of screwing in and out of dies.
So I got the other Lee dies.
I would:
decap in the Lee
size in the rcbs
prime in the lee
seat in the lee

I did not get any better groups with just one piece of brass.
The threshold of short brass life is best measured with extractor groove growth in one shot.

I still had all those presses.
Then I saw the partner for cheap.

Then I sprung for the Co ax.

Now everything is done in the Co ax or partner, and the 3 Lee presses and Rockchucker are ignored.

What does it all mean?
5 presses can be mounted on a 3' long 2x6 and clamped to the bench. They all work fine. If someone has fewer presses, the system would still work fine for press mounting.

The board of presses can be moved to another bench in the living room in front of the TV for doing 10,000 rounds of varmint quality .223.

I like my time away! :P it may just be in the barn, but no one bugs me out there Wink Besides the wife cant complain about smells out there Wink
be it me or the stuff I m working on. If on of the cats knocked down my powder I d have a new self moving target at the range...if it made it!
Yes all jokes aside, your one smart cookie for coming up with that. I too have a extra lee press from when I first started. I was thinking about setting up something for the range myself. Guess now I can saw off a chunk of my 2x6 that's sitting in the bed of my truck and call it good after getting some "C" clamps.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I like my time away! :P it may just be in the barn, but no one bugs me out there Wink Besides the wife cant complain about smells out there Wink
be it me or the stuff I m working on. If on of the cats knocked down my powder I d have a new self moving target at the range...if it made it!

Have you noticed the double standard for women and stink?

They strip wax on the floor with Ammonia.
They have a cat that does not turn on the fan after using the kitty litter.
They cook sausage with the liver ingredient on the stove top.
They give their hair a permanent curl with some toxic ooze.

But if a guy uses some bore cleaner in the basement, it is grounds for divorce Mad

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Have you noticed the double standard for women and stink?

They strip wax on the floor with Ammonia.
They have a cat that does not turn on the fan after using the kitty litter.
They cook sausage with the liver ingredient on the stove top.
They give their hair a permanent curl with some toxic ooze.

But if a guy uses some bore cleaner in the basement, it is grounds for divorce Mad

This is so true! Mine even has a BO issue!

NRA LIFE MEMBER