New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who to order powder from online?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who are you guys ordering your powder from? I was contemplating Grafs, cause besides the $20 hazmat, they only charge like $4.00 for "handling". If I order at least 8# of H-4350, it works out to be like $18 a #, that is including the hazmat.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Powder Valley had what I needed at the right price.

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by baboon:
Powder Valley had what I needed at the right price.

DITTO. beerroger Try there Accurate Data 86. Great buy great performer. thumb

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bounty hunter
posted Hide Post
how much can you get shipped on ONE hazmat charge?

bounty hunter

Posts: 113 | Location: Texas,USA | Registered: 27 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you can order 48 lbs on one hazmat fee.

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
www.powdervalleyinc.com

They guarantee their prices. Everybody I've spoke with loves their service. They will ship powder and primers under one hazmat. They will ship 50 lbs under one hazmat.

Posts: 16 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
For 8 Lbs of Hodgon 4350

Powder Valley is $107.95 + HazMat + Shipping
Midway is $125.99 + HazMat + Shipping
Graf's is $128.99 + Hazmat + Shipping

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12608 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.gibrass.com Best stuff out there and you can't beat the price. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got 4 of the 8# jugs of IMR4895 from http://hi-techammo.com/ and they paid the haz mat fee.

The stuff is just as good at the stuff from the gun store in the purple can.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I order from powder valley. www.powdervalleyinc.com I figured it up and if I order 8 lbs of powder and 1000 primers at a time it is just a little cheaper than I can get it locally plus I aint wasting my gas.

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gixxer:
Who are you guys ordering your powder from? I was contemplating Grafs, cause besides the $20 hazmat, they only charge like $4.00 for "handling". If I order at least 8# of H-4350, it works out to be like $18 a #, that is including the hazmat.

gixxer, what are using the H-4350 in? Bartsche is right about the Accurate Data 86 powder. As long as you are using it in a fairly large case, it works very well and the price is unbeatable at $59.75 per 8 lb keg. Its' burning rate is close to Accurate 3100 or IMR4831. I am using it in a .270WSM and 6.5x55 and it has shown lots of potential in those two calibers. For 16 lbs shipping and hazmat worked out to $9.53 per pound. I don't think you can do better.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
its going in a 375 RUM, big enough?

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not that I am looking for the perfect technical answer, but why is Data 86 so much cheaper than the rest? I have never heard anybody talk about it here in the forum. I guess it really doesnt matter, it is for my plinking load anyways, so cheaper is better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AA has various ways of getting powder.
If they found five tons of bulk powder surplussed in China, they buy it and work up some loads, and voila, a new canister powder is born, AAXX.

That was like the deal with AA2230C and it seems anything the cat drug in can be called AA#7.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Hell Eekerif you want cheap powders look at IMR7383 and that has no Chinese connection, but unless you know how to use it there can be a real danger.Than 5010 and 5020 are inexpensive also but really are slow slow burning.

Having done a lot of testing on 2230-C and Data 86 the findings show they have no problem in the accuracy department. Perhaps the Chinese can show the greed riden chemical companies how the game should be played. Frownerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I could try the Data 86. For the price, I could buy a lot. Since that powder seems to be slightly slower than H-4350, I could use a midrange 4350 load as a starting load and work my way up. I hate doing load development without any real info in writing, or on the internet. It was the same way rolling those Northforks, but then again too, I didnt ask anybody, either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi what you need to do are possibly three things
#1 screw midway they dont care about you
#2 find 2 or 3 other guys close to you who
reload and put together a big order and
split hazmat and shipping
#3 just go to local gun shop and bite the bullet

im an ffl dealer and unless i have a big order
i do just that go to the local big gun shop and get what i need
my 2 cents worth
fog

posted Hide Post
gixxer. Go to www.powdervalleyinc.com and click on the Accurate link. At the top of the page they have published loading data for the Data 86 that can be downloaded. Basically it works out to the same data as 3100 for compressed loads and around a 10% reduction for non-compressed loads.

tnekkcc. Accurate no longer buys powder out of China. They did that once back in the late 90's and it really bit them in the butt. The powder was crap. As far as I know they no longer buy anything out of China.

The Data 86 powder is from the Czech republic. It is new manufacture powder that did not meet loading specifications of another powder. So, the good people at Accurate developed loading data and passed the savings on to us.

The 2230C is a surplus demilled powder out of South Aftica. (basically military ammo pulled down out of .308 and .223) It is some really good stuff.

Posts: 16 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote