New
Find
Notify
Tools

for 38-40 fans
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got 250 38-40 cases from Starline..its been a loong hard haul..This stuff is the only "good" brass for that caliber, WW and RP brass is much too thin and goes south fast with splitting and split necks...Starline lasts and last..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Dang! They already show "backordered" on the Starline web site. I'm down to my last bag of WW 38-40 brass now.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ah, I solved this problem a decade ago; buy and use, 44-40 brass for your 38-40s, of which I have 4. 38-40 has always been harder to get.
You can't even tell when you load it. Don't focus on the headstamp.

Posts: 17295 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive used a lot of 44-40s just run them thru the 38-40 die to round out the top more than anything else, You can also use 44-40 loading data for the 38-40 according to my books..tried it and it worked with the loads I tried. You can also use 10mm mag pistol bullets (401) but really need to cut a cannalure in them.. 38-40s are a pain for a number of reasons...Starline brass is the answer to most of the 38-40s tricky business...

Presently I don't have pistol primers for the 38-40 so trying to figure what rifle primer will work in my Win mod 92 rifle? or will it.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best too call ET Brass...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Ray you want know if the primers will work until you try, but I suspect that they will be fine.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Just mill the depth with a primer pocket uniforming tool and use Rem 9 1/2s (softest cups) in them (if you have any).

After your other thread I tried in my .45 Colt with Blue Dot. Could not tell any difference.

I have 3 .38-40s. Two Colts and a 73. Have only used LPPs in them as I bought a huge amount of Wolf LPM (magnum) Ps that all went on sale at the end of 0bama shortage. Can’t tell any difference with the mag primers either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a full carton of 1000 Federal #150 large pistol magnum primers, been told they will work and that you should cut the load back a few grs and work up...Anyone got any advise on these, Ive apparantly had them a number of years still in a new looking box...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120