New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vanguard Freebore
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am loading 180gr Nosler Accubonds in 30-06 for a Weatherby Vanguard from the 1980s. When firing the first two loads from this batch I stuck with the published Nosler OAL of 3.330". This is a really long bullet, however, and ends up reaching far down into the case. Accuracy was not stellar and the velocities higher than expected in beginning loads.

In the past I have often loaded 30-06 to the typical max OAL of 3.340". In this case I made a dummy round that measured 3.400", blackened the bullet and tried chambering it. It locked in fine, left no marks, and bullet did not move in the case. In the end I settled on an OAL of 3.360" as it gave me at least .040" of margin and the base of the bullet is even with the bottom of the neck. I just wondered what others have seen with Vanguards in 30-06.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Different shape of the bullet make your reloads shorter or make a crimp on them. Try your black marker trick.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Weatherbys have long throats; ignore book OALs and determine your own as suggested. Your mag box will probably be the limiting factor, not the throat. I have loaded rounds with only .1 inch of bullet in the case without issues, and you can use more powder that way too.

Posts: 17264 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry misread the post. I thought your bullets were moving in the case.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No problem Nordic. I agree, Dpcd, looking to the mag box is important as well; the mag box allows cartridges as long as 3.490", so it is not a problem. I wonder if Weatherby also used/uses this magazine box & stock for calibers with longer OALs so we just benefit with the shorter 30-06. I have had other rifles with tight mag boxes that didn't allow much increased OAL unless you went about altering the rifle.

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote