Find
Notify
Tools

7mm stw 160gr accubond or nosler bt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of AAdams
posted
How much is the difference between tho two on 150 to 200 pound deer.I am more in to accuracy than f.p.s with this gun as long as it is stil about 2900 or 3000 f.p.s .I would like to know if the accuboud has to be pushed hard to work or is this a good speed for them.

Posts: 117 | Location: Rock Hill, S.C. | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 160gr. Accubonds out of my 7mmRM at 2960fps are getting the job done quite nice.
Only killed 3 deer with that load so far and they preformed great.The ranges were 60yds.125yds. and 300yds.
I could push it faster but it shot so well at 2960 I settled on that load with is 68.5grs. of H1000.Pass thrus on all shot even after hitting bone on the 60yd. shot.Just my limited experiance on 3 whitetails.

Live Your Dreams

Posts: 89 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler does not make a 7mm-160gr ballistic tip.I personally use 140gr ballistic tips in my 7mmstw's with a muzzle velocity of 3500fps.They do a great job on our large bodied canadian bucks which often exceed 300lbs.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
AAdams,

How Quick do you want to kill em'?

If you want to lay them down at impact, I'd use the 150 NBTs. That is if you don't mind 2" plus exits and a couple of lost ribs.

There's alot of folks that just hate the thought of shooting NBTs at deer but, that don't mean they aren't one heck of a whitetail bullet. I've taken 240# whitetail deer w/ 140s @ 3210fps from a 7RM and I've dropped a 500# boar w/ a 150 NBT @ 3110fps MV.

If you are just going to hunt deer in that weight range and only going to shoot at the speeds you posted, I'd definitely go the NBT route but, If you intend on getting true STW performance, you might want to go the AB route.

I think I might try some of the 140 ABs at 3300fps and see how they do.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote