New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Powder 40S&W
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need some plinking loads that are not too weak or too hot. I think I will use the 155 grain bullet to keep pressure down. What is a good target load for the 40 and what powder should I use? I thought maybe Unique? Thanks Esox357.

one of us
Picture of alfsauve
posted Hide Post
You might check out high weights with faster powders. They seem to give a more gentle recoil. Look at the Brian Enos forum for info.

Brion Enos

Posts: 97 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 16 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The bullet wt. you shoot has nothing to do with the pressure of the finished round. The powder you choose & the OAL have the most bearing on the pressure of the load. Fast burning powders like W231, RedDot, WST & uberfast like TG, Bullseye & Clays, will raise pressures faster than med. burn rate powders like Unique, WSF, AA#5 or Universal. SLower powders like AA#7, LongShot, BlueDot, have a less steep presure curve & are best for full power loads. Unique is fine, try 6.0gr.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alfsauve
posted Hide Post
fredj338 is right of course. Once you select the bullet then the pressure is a function of the burning rate of the powder, the amount of the powder and the depth you seat the bullet. You can have high pressure with any weight bullet.

I was wrong in my reply in that I was thinking of felt recoil, which I had just been doing a lot of reading.

I like to look at the more efficient powder loadings which gives me a good velocity/pressure ratio. Not always a cut and dried decision. Not that I load any of my calibers to their max, I just like the idea that for whatever velocity I'm trying to achieve, I'm doing so at the lowest possible pressure. (Or thereabouts)

I've been using HS-7 in my .40, but it's discontinued and the search is on for a replacement. I'm not sure there is a really good replacement. I'm tempted just to buy all the remaining stock of HS-7 and put off the decision until "tomorrow".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Longshot might work for 180 grain bullets in it? I am currently researching a load with Longshot and 155 grain, but may look at unique or another powder. Thanks Guys. Esox357.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain alf. I also like HS7 in the 40 but AA#7 is pretty close as is LongShot. WSF, Unique or Universal work well w/ the 155gr & 165gr bullets. My "working" load is 6gr Unique under a 165gr Berry's FP for 975fps from my 4006.

one of us
Picture of alfsauve
posted Hide Post
After studying the manuals and the online data and forums, I think I'm just going to go with HS-6. Seems to cover most of the bullet weights well. Slightly faster burning than -7 and there seems to be plenty of load data for it. Just for fun I tried Bullseye under 175gr to see if the recoil was better, but I couldn't tell any difference. (Plus of course Bullseye is very smoky.) So I don't need to go to Clays or Tightgroup. I'll stay middle of the road.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I loaded 150s with bulls eye worked will.

Posts: 19441 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alfsauve
posted Hide Post
Thanks p dog,

Bullseye worked fine, it's just very smoky and didn't give the lower recoil that many tout by going to the faster powders (Clays and TG).

I generally like my powders to at least half fill the cases, if for no other reason in that it makes it harder to double charge without noticing.

Alf

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alfsauve:
Thanks p dog,

Bullseye worked fine, it's just very smoky and didn't give the lower recoil that many tout by going to the faster powders (Clays and TG).

I generally like my powders to at least half fill the cases, if for no other reason in that it makes it harder to double charge without noticing.

Alf

Or just as bad, no charge. The fastest powder I will use is WST & it fills the case nicely, burns clean & accuracy is great w/ lead or jacketed bullets. My plinking load is 4.8gr of WST under a 175grLFP.