New
Find
Notify
Tools

Delete please
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am in need of 3 or 4 empty 20 round Remington 7-08 boxes. Thought I would try here before having to buy factory ammo just to get the boxes. Appreciate your help. smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Sorry Smoker, but why would you need to have factory boxes? Why not just purchase something similar to this case.

You'll also see various other 7-08 cases here.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been too long since I bought any store ammo that I don't have any boxes but I too am curious about your need?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
If he wants 'em to take on trips involving air travel -- good idea. I keep a couple of each caliber around -- just slip the plastic case inside. Maybe a gun range trip would help?

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn if Mr Bnagle didn't hit the proverbial nail right on the head!!! Kinda a waste of money to buy factory ammo just to get the box but I'm determined to bring my own stuff. smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Are you required to have ammo in a factory box for airline travel?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Are you required to have ammo in a factory box for airline travel?

It's not a TSA or DOT requirement. Wood, metal, or other box made for that purpose that separates cartridges was the rule the last time I looked it up. However, each airline can make its own rules.

I've always used plastic boxes and when flying out of the country I put custom ammo labels on them and wrap in clear plastic sealing tape.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Smoker,

i dug thru my basement and found a couple of old 7-08 boxes. 2 are Winchester and 1 is a Remington. Do you need the plastic or styrofoam holders as well, because if not then I have a Federal to go along too but I don't know where the plastic shell holder is at for this box..

They are free to a new home, if you want them.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Graybird. All my head stamps are Remington so the Rem. box with the insert would be really appreciated. I was told by my agent to do this in preparation to the hunt. Also said I should have the ammo in another TSA locked box in my baggage....A real PITA! Graybird, I'll PM you. Thanks to all of you guy's. My first trip abroad so don't know squat! smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
MTM plastic is safe for air travel (TSA/DOT). Is this a international flight issue? Curious.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Sam it is international. I thought it was way overdone but like I said this is my first time so I'm kinda being led around like a puppy. smoker1.

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last time I flew, internal here in the UK, although I had the ammo in a locked metal box they still wanted to know if it was packed in manufacturers packaging. Luckily I had gone down the route taken by Smoker1 and so was able to demonstrate that they were indeed in the manufacturers packaging. While you might fly for years and never be asked it is worthwhile for the sake of keeping a few empty boxes as the one jobsworth who does ask just isn't going to let you on the plane if you can't answer yes and his mates in PETA are just going to love it when he tells his story of how he saved the fluffy bunny animals by stopping you going hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True, you cannot have the weapon and ammo for it in the same container.

One hint, Smoker, go to the airline that you're traveling on's web site. Find the regs for transport of rifles and ammo and print it out and have it in your pocket when you go to the airport. This way if some agent thru ignorance or hostility tries to jerk you around, you have the answers.
If you don't understand any of it, call them up for a clarification and get that person's name.
Don't depend on a travel agent to know that kind of stuff.
FWIW, I "think" the MTM boxes are acceptable everywhere. The regs read, mfger's carton or other suitable container. (or words to that effect)

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also a good idea wasbeeman. I'm using a service that is supposed to help with the rifles when we get there. Seems like they have to go to a police dept. somewhere and get checked in. I can call abd check with them...they should know what's going on. smoker

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is the latest info from Air2000 a SA Airline service. Sure got interesting though. Thanks for all your help. smoker1

"Phil please keep in mind certain regulations changed last year. The ammo must be in a locked box and placed in your checked bag. If you reload and the authorities need to check it, it must have the right caliber stamped on the cartridge somewhere it does not have to be in the original package as long as it is marked. You can get a cash box from Walmart or Target with a key or combination put the ammo in there. Mark the top with a cokkie pen the amount of ammo of each caliber you have, then if the TSA open they can see what you have instead of breaking the case open".

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used plastic cases for my 300 Jarrett rounds, on Luthansa on last trip to Frankfurt than on to Namibia last August. No problems. Used a Cabelas ammo box and ammo was snug and no way could come open.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
470drshooter, thanks for your info. I guess I'll be fine now. Ordered a metal box ysterday, and alyways use 50 round MTM boxes for my rifle loads. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Have a good trip, take care.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote