THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OK - I should have listened to you guys . . .
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dino32HR
posted
Most of you warned me - don't buy Lee ! Well, I did, partially to get into a new hobby with the most bang for the buck and partially because I didn't know if I'd stick with it. It's now 7 months later and well, I'm addicted !

Lee gives you a lot of hardware for the money, and the dies are GREAT ! However, I bought a turret press kit and have already replaced the scale, and want/need to replace the turret press and the powder measure. The Lee O-frame press is fine, but the turret press . . . yech.

I use a 3.0 gr. drop of Titegroup and the damn Auto-Disk powder measure won't give me a drop within +/- 0.1 gr. While 0.1 gr. ain't a lot, it's enough to make a difference in a load as light as this, especially when your loads range from 2.9 to 3.1 grains.

I'm looking at a RCBS or Lyman turret press, but don't have a clue on a powder measure that will work on the turret press and give me consistant powder drops with light loads. Any thoughts guys?

Thanks. Don't beat me up too much for not listening the first time ! Mea culpa, mea culpa.

------------------
-Dino
IHMSA #56176
A man said to the universe: "Sir, I exist!" "However," replied the universe, "That fact has not created in me a sense of obligation." - Stephen Crane

Posts: 243 | Location: Northeast OH | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dino, I've still got and am using my original old Lyman powder measure, forget the model, but it has the three internal sliding disks. Anyway, it will last you forever and will throw ANY charge you want down to the tiniest! It's only weakness it it takes a little effort to "cut" some of the big stick powders when you charge a case. But it's a damn good measure.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee Perfect measure. Before I used it a lot, I tested its precision on different powders.

Unique is a flake powder, and I found the Lee measure was quite inconsistent... unaccepatable

I checked it on stick powder, and found that it was pretty good. If I were just making hunting loads, I'd probably use it.

With ball powder, it very consistently gives me less than .1 grain error.

Some of the other guys may have done tests on other brands and types, but I think my results are pretty typical. A measure that will give you less than .1 grain error is probably as good as you're going to get.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Small extruded, ball and most flake powders flow well through my Uniflows and Hornady/Pacific measures.

Ball and some flakes flow well through my Dillons and the Little Dandy.

I've yet to try a measure that meters large stick powders well.

AFA a turret press: Redding has a seven station turret. I'm not sure if it's on the market yet. I have a Lyman six station. Works well and built like a main battle tank.

Hope this helps.

Eddie

<eldeguello>
posted
Denton, I don't know any measure that will throw consistent charges with Unique-it isn't the measure, it's the powder. The flakes of Unique cling together, and don't meter well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I have no problem throwing perfectly repeated charges of unique with my RCBS Uniflow powder measure. It doesn't work so hot with stick powders like IMR 7828 or Reloader 22

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dino32HR
posted Hide Post
Thanks a heap for all the responses ! Please keep them coming ! Does anybody (specifically & succesfully) use a powder measure for small drops of Titegroup?

-Dino

Posts: 243 | Location: Northeast OH | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Lyman Autoscale will do all the powders including the flake with real good consistency.
I have had one for about 4 years and it gives you balance beam accuracy along with trickle feed precision.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
"Accurate measure" is a relative term. I use an RCBS Uniflow for most loads, and it's pretty close for spherical powders, a bit less accurate with stick powders. That's the nature of the beast.

But, when I'm loading for accuracy, I weigh each charge, both on a beam scale and on a digital. But then we're fire forming Ackley brass, neck turning, etc.

RCBS stands behind their stuff absolutely, "no questions asked." I had the Uniflow with a large "rifle" die in it and asked RCBS what they'd charge me for the smaller "pistol" die. They sent it free, postage paid.

Also I had a primer tool get wrecked because I was careless and ran two primers in the press. RCBS replaced the unit with a newer model. No questions.

For "strong" I don't think you can beat the RockChucker press.

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved

one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
Dino32HR

Thanks for the thread. I don't even have a powder measure yet, I weigh all the charges. Since I use charge weights in the same range as yours I can appreciate your situation. I load a 25ACP case necked to 22caliber with 2 to 3 grains of various powders (I'm still experimenting, looking for "THE" load). It would be nice to have an accurate poder measureto just throw the loads, but in the very small 25ACP case 0.1 grain is a big difference sometines 5% of the whole charge, and since this results in full case loads almost all the variation will show up at the chronograph.

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<BEJ>
posted
There used to be a "Bullseye Pistol Powder Measure" that used inserts and would throw extremely consistent charges of small amounts of powder. Of course, it's long gone. Just curious -- has anyone actually done any accuracy testing on a +/- two tenths difference in a 3.1gr. charge of Bullseye and what were the results??????