New
Find
Notify
Tools

22x6mm Rem. to 5.6x57
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Again, I have a 22/6mm Rem. that I love to hunt with. It has a PacNor super match barrel. I would like to convert to 5,6x57 RWS so I can get factory brass and if needed it, factory ammunition. This is a lovely rifle that loves the RWS 74 gr, cone point for hunting and the 80 gr. Sierra for varmints. Will the 5.6x57 clean up the 22/6mm Rem chamber???

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are essentially the same case - the 6mm Rem being a member of the "57" (7x57, 8x57, 6.5x57, 5.6x57) family. I just don't know the exact details, i.e. whether the 6mm Rem case was altered in some minor way, other than necking down a x57 case. There is also the issue of any changes made in your customization of the 6mm Rem?? Sooo, get some cartridge specifications and go over them with a fine tooth comb.

If you have trouble loacting cartridge specifications for the 5.6x57, I can copy you some numbers out of the RWS reloading manual (no direct drawing, though).

- mike

P.S. I don't know for sure, but it might even be possible to safely shoot 5.6x57 in your current chamber. Again, look at the cartridge specifications.

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Again, I have a 22/6mm Rem. that I love to hunt with. It has a PacNor super match barrel. I would like to convert to 5,6x57 RWS so I can get factory brass and if needed it, factory ammunition. This is a lovely rifle that loves the RWS 74 gr, cone point for hunting and the 80 gr. Sierra for varmints. Will the 5.6x57 clean up the 22/6mm Rem chamber???

I believe it might, because as far as I know, about the main difference between the two is that the 5.6X57 RWS has thicker case neck walls vs the 6mm Rem case.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eldeguello touched on my first doubt regarding this conversion regarding neck walls. After a brief tour through Ken Howells blue book I could not find drawings for the .22/6mm(doesn't mean it's not there) so I compared the 5.6x57 to the 6mm Remmy....I don't think it will work without setting the barrel back...1/4-1/2" or so. I'm not a 'smith, but a couple of the dimensions are back-asswards.

The other point that is more significant is the case capacity difference is nil. Perhaps a grain at most. Makes the whole thing sound like busy work to me.

If you'd like to discuss this with Ken you can find him on 24hr Campfire in the Ask The Writers forum.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to mention the fact that the neck thickness means you have to operate at max loads to get gas seal. The brass will be rare as hen's teeth and cost a fortune.

If 22's ever become legal I would be tempted by a custom thin necked 5.6x57 but not the standard offering. I seem to remember Saeed having real problems with one.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are there any other thoughts regarding this conversion. I can live with the extra costs in getting RWS brass. I just like to have proper brass to shoot instead of wildcats.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote