Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 785 ball powder?
 Login/Join

posted
Among my fathers reloading supplies I cam across a full can of Winchester 785 ball powder that appears to be in excellent condition. I would hate to waste a full can of this for fertilizer, so I am wondering about its intended applications and what I could use it in.

In searching I found one site that said it was suitable for the .243, which is most likely what my father purchased it for. But, I do not have a .243, nor do I have any load data in any of my manuals concerning this powder...

The guns I own are a .223 Rem, 30-06 (M1 Garand), 7mm Rem Mag, 357 Magnum, and .45 ACP (Auto-Ordnance Thompson). I was wondering if I could use this powder in any of my guns, particulary my 7mm if possible. If anyone has starting load data for me to begin working up a load, it would be greatly appreciated. I use 120 grain Noslers, 145 grain Speer, and 160 grain Grand Slams in my 7mm. All the others I do not currently have any bullets for, so I am mainly interested in a load for the 7mm Rem Mag if at all possible...

Any information on this powder would be greatly appreciated. The best I could do was find it in a burn rate chart, which really doesn't help me much...

Thanks,
ATWAR

Posts: 15 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WW785 was once their "slow/magnum" powder, most applicable to your 7mm Mag. It was fickle about pressure, causing some concerns for reloader (and Winchester!).
I have several of the older Win reloading pamphlets, which list load data. I will look when I get home this evening.
Most reloading manuals over 10 yrs old, (but less than 30 y/o),should also have data.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
It is useful in the .243 Winchester, .270 Winchester, .280 Remington, 7mm Remington Magnum, .30-.284 Winchester, .30-06 Springfield, 8mm Remington Magnum.

Burning characteristics are similar to:
Faster
188 Magnum
189 Magpro
190 R-905
*191 W-785

I have data for it on my reloading data pages.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
My Winchester 1976 reloading guide described Win. 785 as:

�a slow burning rifle powder (ball powder) suitable for medium and large capacity cases and a number of belted magnum cases."

Yes, I do see loading data for the .243 Win. in the guide for both 75g, 85g & 100g bullets, so it may be likely your father was using it for that. Of the cartridges you have listed it would have the best application in the 7MM Rem Mag. My 1976 Win. Guide lists the Win. 125g Power Point with 67.5g of 785 for 3,225 fps at 49,000 C.U.P. (Win Brass & Win Primer). A note follows that says to use the data exactly as shown and not to reduce the powder charge.

My Lyman 46th Edition shows a 140g Nosler SP with a starting charge of 57.0g to a max of 70.0g. The max load is listed at 3,175 fps at 51,400 C.U.P. (RP brass w/9 1/2M primer). There is a listing for a Hornady 162 g BTSP with a starting charge of 55.2g to a max of 65.0g. The max load is listed at 2,938 fps at 52,000 C.U.P. (RP brass w/9 1/2M primers).

As I recall Win 785 was the same as H-450, but its� been a while, so perhaps some one else can verify that part.

I see some data for the .30/06 with 180g bullets but I think the powder may be a bit slow for your Garand.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 41rem
posted Hide Post
Where do you get your loading data on WMR???

Posts: 54 | Location: Hurricane Ridge, Wa. | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Johnly, I am sure that WIN 785 has been used successfully by thousands of shooters in magnum cases, including your .338 Winchester Magnum.

The Speer number 10 Reloading manual lists WIN 785 in cases ranging from the .243 Win to the .340 Weatherby Magnum.

It certainly seems to keep well, as I bought about 9 kg tins (almost 20lbs) back in 1986, and used it for about 12 years in my field loads for a .224 Clark, and it gave good accuracy and a competitive velocity. I recently tried some in my 22/250AI, and 25/06 AI, and again it gave good accuracy.

I have heard a lot of speculation on the reasons why Winchester discontinued 780BR, 785, and WMR, but it would be interesting to hear Winchester's official reason. Regards, Brian.

Posts: 54 | Location: Oaklands Park. South .A.ustralia | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote