Notify
Tools

Looking for 404 Jeffery Basic
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad aka Pill Shooter
posted
To the Group:

Does anyone have a line on some 404 Jeffery Basic Brass? I purchased a 338 Imperial magnum and have tried to use 375 RUM brass. It works great until the loads get warm and then the extractor pulls off the rim and I get a stuck cartridge. I took a look at the rims and they 404 has a much larger groove to grab. Hence think I need to scratch up a 100 or so cases if I want to keep the rifle. I did a web search and could find and Bell cases out there. I know I can use formed 404 Hornady but that is an additional step I'd like to avoid if possible. No lathe so I can not easily turn the rum cases. Not sure if I can change the extractor or not since I'm not a gunsmith. Any one know where I might find some cases?

Thanks

Brad

Posts: 619 | Location: Sherwood, Oregon USA | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I reckon I do but it would be a bugger to get it over to you. I got it in for someone who also had
a wild cat.

I'll try to think who might have some in the US
as Jim Bell, BeLL Brass sold heaps of it.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me check. I believe I got a stash of Bell 404 Basic. PM me if any interest.

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the Iamgene deal does not work out, PM me.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
iamgene,
I would be interested in some of your 404 basic.
If interested please contact me at rkmojo@aol.com

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad aka Pill Shooter
posted Hide Post
Iamgene sent you a PM. Rich I'll keep you posted thanks for the offer.

Brad
dancing

Posts: 619 | Location: Sherwood, Oregon USA | Registered: 07 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old I have 20 new Bell cases I can part with. I think I got about $30.00 into them. Will charge you that and postage if you are interested. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That wide groove in the 404 is not going to help extraction; (how can it?) if you are pulling off a rim, your loads are too hot. .404 rims are .006 bigger than a RUM; that gives you .003 more for your extractor to pull on. That ain't going to solve your problem with your extraction either.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd

Agree, now that I have re read the OP's post.

New cases won't necessarily solve the problem.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Another post suggested that 404 brass is smaller at the head, which it is, .005. (.0025 around) If you are jamming the RUM brass into your chamber, that might cause it to stick. Polish out the chamber a little so you can use RUM brass instead of trying to find hard to get brass, is what I would do. Full length resizing every one might help, still won't affect the solid head but try it anyway.
In any case, it isn't an extraction or extractor problem.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Bartshe,
I'll take them!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote