New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass for 300 win.
 Login/Join

<BC Shooter>
posted
Guys, What brass manufacture do you like and use for the 300 win., and does anyone know which one has the largest case volume.I like my loads near max. so which manufacture has the best case life for max.loads. thanks

<Don Martin29>
posted
It's true that the belted cases don't last long due to insipiant head separtations and I am stuck with a bunch of them in nice rifles too.

Right now I am doing a case life experiment but it's too early to report but preliminary testing thru four rounds has shown that in the .300 H&H that Remington .375 H&H brass does not get insipiant separations and WW .375 H&H brass does when both are sized to .300 H&H and the cases fit tight in the chamber for their first firing.

Also the exact same load in Winchester cases will reach maximum by the evidence of hard bolt lift when the Remington cases do not!

If you could look into the new Remington .375 brass that I have started with you would see much more metal at the base. The access to the flash hole seems to have a "counterbore" like hole there with all the extra metal right where the head might separate.

I have not chorongraphed the loads yet. The Remington cases weight about 25 grains more than the WW cases so I have no idea yet where this will end up except that I like to practice a lot with a rifle and I don't give a hoot if the velocity is 3000 fps or 3100 fps. It means nothing to me.

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I use PMP (Local) and WW and have no problems with both

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
<6.5 Guy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Don Martin29:
[B]It's true that the belted cases don't last long due to insipiant head separtations and I am stuck with a bunch of them in nice rifles too.B]

Hmm...If you neck resize only, or only partially resize the case, case life of belted cases is no better/worse than any other case.

I regularly get about ten firings from my .338, .300, and .264 Win Mag cases, then pitch them whether they still look ok or not. I generally full length resize about the fifth firing, then use them for another five firings neck sizing only.

I have used pretty much only W-W brass for these two cartridges, and it works fine. Can't comment on case capacity of any brand, but in the .300 Win Mag, the percent variance from one brand to another will be less pronounced than in, say, a .308 Win-based caliber.

[This message has been edited by 6.5 Guy (edited 05-19-2002).]

<Don Martin29>
posted
Satisfaction with belted cases depends what you find when you look inside your fired cases. If you don't look then you are satisfied unless there is a head separation.

I made a feeler gage decades ago and use one before loading any case, all of the time. It's a piece of coat hanger wire with a small right angle bend on the tip that is filed to a edge. I reach down inside the case and feel for that telltale ring inside the web.

This condition is also common on rimmed and rimless cases fired in rifles with rear locking lugs which many lever actions have.

On sizing I do like one post above and neck size only until FL sizing is necessary. Then of course the FL die is set to size only enough to get good functioning. For most calibers I have a neck size die, the Lee neck dies or as with the .300 H&H I use a .300 Win mag die set back .093".