New
Find
Notify
Tools

300WSM (short mag.) reloading question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have always used magnum primers when reloading for the 300WSM (short mag.), but I saw somewhere where people were actually getting better results (accuracey w/o velocity loss at lower pressures) when using stardard primers (non-magnum).

Which primers do you use in your 300WSM?

Thanks

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get the best accuracy in my rifle using RL-19 with WLRM primers.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're unlikely to see much difference. So called "standard" primers are fully adequate if you wish to use them. "Magnum" primers should also do fine, so long as you don't mind paying the extra cost for the word "magnum" printed on the label.

A standard Winchester WLR may be just as "hot" as a CCI 250, to pick an example out of the air. The only "magnum" primer that appears to have enough energy to effect the pressure/velocity of a medium size cartridge might be the Federal 215, which I would advise as inappropriate in a case the size of the WSM.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All I ever use in my 300WSM and my 270 WSM are Fed 215M primers. They burn a fair amount of powder and I think the magnum primers are indicated.

I use Magnum primers in all my "magnum" cartridges and even in my 25-06 when shooting heavy bullets with IMR 7828.

I do have to admit that when shooting RL 19 my .338 Win Mag shoots better with standard primers, but it is the only magnum cartridge I have experienced this with. I now shoot H 4350 in that rifle and it gets Fed 215M primers.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to say I NEVER used a magnum in my 300 WSM, but only once. That load, the book called for a magnum rem 9-½, so I used them. All my other loads use standard WLR primers. As has been said, WLR are considered to be hotter than most other standard primers.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is one of those questions that really only your rifle can answer. Run a bunch of tests using standard and magnum primers to see what your rifle preferes with a particular powder. It's the only way!
Me, I like the Mag primers for my 300WSMs, 215M's mostly. IMO hunting in sub zero temps with a case that hold 65++gr of powder works best with a Mag primer.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good results from both and can understand the prefered use of mag primers in cold weather and again what does your weapon
work best with, its test time.

Posts: 28 | Location: Northern Calif= Redwoods | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
I have always used magnum primers when reloading for the 300WSM (short mag.), but I saw somewhere where people were actually getting better results (accuracey w/o velocity loss at lower pressures) when using stardard primers (non-magnum).

Which primers do you use in your 300WSM?

Thanks

WLR, Period, only use WLRMs if im loading well over 70 grains. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've only used WLR primers and fed 210 in my 300wsm. have had 73grs of N160 in it with WLR primers.
have never had a problem, velocity and accuracy are pretty good.

you could try some standard primers and see if you get better results.

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used only Federal #215GM in mine so far and have gotten good results with MOA accuracey for a 180 grain Northfork at 2975fps and a 200 grain Nosler Partition load at 2808fps. The 180 grain Northfork prints 2.75" high to the 200 grain Nosler Partition.

This is one of those cases where nothing is broken - just curious if I could improve on an already good load(s).

I have a chronograph, so I may have to see for myself. I picked up some WLRM primers today and it sounds like I need to pick up some WLR too. I also have a carton of Federal #210 on hand.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have tried a bunch of different LRM primers and they all shot great, so for me no need to try LR primers. The books call for Mags anyways, so I'm sticking with em.

Good shooting!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
Have tried a bunch of different LRM primers and they all shot great, so for me no need to try LR primers. The books call for Mags anyways, so I'm sticking with em.

Good shooting!

All depends on what books you're reading, Alliant has been using WLRs with RE19 powder. Besides, the difference in "Intensity" between the WLR & WLRM is almost exactly the same, so its a moot point really.

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote