New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use the 53gr Vmax yet??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I can't find these bullets in stock anywhere. Roll Eyes For those of you that have purchased some of these...are they really as good as Hornady hyped them to be? A .290 BC = true story?? I did find a box of the 53gr vmax superformance varmint(expensive) but have not had a chance to shoot it yet.
What powder have you had good luck with?
I'm just wondering if you are overall satisfied with the performance and accuracy of these bullets?

Posts: 39 | Location: south texas | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DPollard
posted Hide Post
I use the 55gr in my 22-250. I am very happy with them. A dime will cover my 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I use them for small ground squirrels and it vaporizes them. I highly recommend the vmax.

One of Us
Picture of Zoboomafoo_dude
posted Hide Post
I have also only seen these available locally as the superformance. Online the 53gr are a good bit more expensive than the 55gr, so I haven't tried them yet.

I have a hard time believing they will produce significantly different results than what Hornady already offers, but would love for someone to post their results and prove me wrong.

Posts: 93 | Location: New Orleans, LA | Registered: 08 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
zo dude,
me too, but i guess not??

posted Hide Post
steven g,
I got a box of 53gr V-Max from Graf and Sons back in Jan. hopeing that they would shoot in my 14" twist barrels. Both barrels shoot 55 NBT's but they won't stabilize the 53's.

The 53gr V-Max is .020 longer than a 55 NBT and as you can see they made oblong holes at 3650 fps out of a 14" twist barrel. I've read on other forums that they have shot well out of 12" or faster twist barrels.
Dave

Posts: 18 | Location: N. Central Indiana | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for that dave,
Yup, Hornady recommends a 12" twist or faster for the 53gr vmax. Afterall, its claimed to have a .290 BC, which means its a pretty long bullet. I have a 24" 1-9 twist AR that i am hoping the 53gr vmax will shoot well out of...or at least better than the 52gr amax.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well what do ya know, midwayusa has them in stock right now and i just ordered a few boxes. can't wait to try them out.

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zoboomafoo_dude:
I have also only seen these available locally as the superformance. Online the 53gr are a good bit more expensive than the 55gr, so I haven't tried them yet.

Well, it looks like they "fixed" the price problem by making them all equal... equally expensive that is. MidwayUSA currently lists the 50, 53, & 55 grain bullets all for $17.99.

Components prices are increasing exponentially it seems.

Anyway, has anyone tried these yet? The B.C. of .290 is noteworthy if true.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steven g:
well what do ya know, midwayusa has them in stock right now and i just ordered a few boxes. can't wait to try them out.

Have any luck with these, steven g?

I'm thought I'd give them a shot in my 1 in 12" varmint gun barrel. I am loading some up this afternoon with Ramshot TAC, Vihtavouri N133, and Hodgden Benchmark.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried them in a 12" twist .223. They shot as well as most bullets at 100 and 200 yds. At the distances I shoot, I get the best groups from the Hornady 53 gr. Match bullet.

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kenati,
I loaded them up with H335. They shot fine out of my AR-15, but nothing spectacular as far as real small groups.
I would think they can cut through the wind very good due to their design, but I have only shot them at 100 yards so I have not had a chance to compare wind drifts between them and a 55gr vmax at longer distances.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tried them in a Ruger VT the other day in 223..

one in 12 twist...warm load with BLC 2, for a long range load for the 223..

very tight groups for 100 yds...

this Ruger usually shoots good...

with this load of BLC2, I need to chronograph them.. as the manuals are giving different MVs with their data...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote