New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got a Win M70 Classic Stainless in 375 H&H and was wondering about loads for it. Although I will use it on whitetail deer there is always the possibility of going after largerr game. I was looking at the Nosler 260 gr Accubond and Partition as an all round load (one load/one point of impact) for everything. Looks like I can get them up to 2700/2750 with reasonable loads. But the bullets aren't cheap so also looking for a less expensive practice/plinking load - maybe cast bullet or ???
Comments, suggestions, opinions, and other loads welcomed.
4570Forever
(also posted in Big Bores)

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Having used a .375 H&H on North American deer, I suggest you use whatever bullet strikes your fancy. I cannot imagine any .375 bullet having a thin jacket so, any one you use will probably not expand much on a deer. I shot a mulie doe one time with a 300gr. Hornady and it just punched a 3/8" hole through her, knocking her over dead. Maybe the Nosler Ballistic tip or Accubond would expand and any bullet made for the .375 Winchester would be very frangible at H&H velocities. I have also used the Lyman 375449 (?) 270 gr. cast bullet at very reduced velocities with good accuracy. Depending on the alloy you use, it would just punch a hole through a deer or expand to the size of an ashtray.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Enigma
posted Hide Post
Hello 4570Forever,

I have the same rifle and for plinking around I like the 225gr Hornady SP. You get them in a box of 100 and they are pretty cheap. For hunting deer I would stick to a 260gr partition and push it between 2700 and 2800 fps, not any faster. Would make a fairly flat shooting round. If you really want to load only one bullet for cheap plinking and for use on deer I would suggest the 300gr Sierra. 2500 to 2600fps should be attainable with that bullet and won't cost you a fortune to shoot. Its not as tough as a Partition but I'm sure it would work real well on moose size game as long as you don't push it to fast so lets not worry about it working on deer!

Have fun,

Enigma

Posts: 347 | Location: Canada | Registered: 30 August 2004Reply With Quote