New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modifying dies for old calibres
 Login/Join

Picture of ChrisPer
posted
I have got hold of a black powder double cartridge rifle in 500/450 No 1 Express , and looking to reload for it. I have found that CH and RCBS offer dies but (because I am a Scrooge) don't want to pay the cost to import them. The chamber has been cast, the bores slugges and cases bought (ouch). I fired a few trial loads with the projectiles just slipped into the necks and hand crimped but that won't do in real life.

I have picked up a set of Lee 45/70 and plan to mod them by shortening an inch or so off the bottom and use a Dremel to grind and polish the end so they operate as neck-only dies. The 45/70 crimp die could be modded by grinding out the tube - or I could use it unmodded and poke the round in from the top to crimp.

I have measured and marked and it looks like it will work. Has anyone tried this? Has anyone any clues to offer?

Posts: 15 | Location: Australia | Registered: 08 September 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of ChrisPer
posted Hide Post
Cut 20mm off the FLS die, ground and polished the cut surface edge and it worked a treat. 40 cases now neck sized, ready for next step.

I have cut down the case mouth flaring tool and dropped a block in between the plug and top collar/funnel guide so the case does not have to enter the die so far. It flared successfully, but depth was not controlled well by 'feel' and I am going to cut a spacer to stop it firmly.

The cut-down bullet seater die pushed a test projie in too far with no good 'feel'. This WILL require a spacer to stop at the right depth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris

Do you have a lathe? Or access to one? It doesn't have to be a big one. Even a small 6" hobby lathe will do.

I have made my own dies to reload some of those expensive calibers. A basic 7/8 x 14 die body to fit a loading press with bushings to neck size and to crimp will load a lot of cartridges.

There is a shooter on the Forum, Butch Lambert, who makes a set of forming dies that would be almost exactly what you need. He could probably make the two or three bushings that you need. Find him on the members list and e-mail him.

Good Luck

ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of ChrisPer
posted Hide Post
Excellent thought Ray, for that one set of dies I would have 1/4 of the price of a small, basic lathe. I would love to have my own.

(Actually when I bought this double rifle on impulse I was about to spend the money on a good little lathe!)