THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Relative Velocity change with Bearing Surface Chan

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Relative Velocity change with Bearing Surface Chan
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any technical guys have any comment on what velocity difference to expect with changes in bearing surface length between bullets of equal weight and diameter, ex. 55 gr. V-Max vs. Blitzking, etc., etc.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Usually, anything that increases the bullet starting force will produce some increase in muzzle velocity by raising the pressure early in the powder burn and causing it to burn a little quicker (also boosting the peak pressure.) It'd be tricky to predict the effect of a change in bearing length quantitatively, particularly as there might also be other differences such as jacket thickness and hardness, core hardness, etc., and seating depth will also enter into it.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
The best description I've come across is the article by Waite in the June, 1955 American Rifleman. Your local library should be able to get you a photocopy. The results are summarized in an article by William Davis in the NRA's book on reloading called Handloading, sadly out of print but still available from used book sellers; I got mine via ABE.

Bullet substitution can have a big effect on pressure.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ASDF-- what is ABE??

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Quote:

ASDF-- what is ABE??

http://abebooks.com/

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Thank you Ricochet.

I'll also add, you should be able to get the book via interlibrary loan, for free, for a few weeks. I've gotten to read many of the older books on shooting this way.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent-- thks. all.