Find
Notify
Tools

LVSF 308...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
We all know every rifle is different but, I thought I'd pass on my findings w/ a Light Varmint I've been working on for a friend.

First of all I took the new rifle and saw imediately it needed some serious stock work IMO so, I floated the barrel and bedded the action. Also brought the terrible trigger down to 3lbs even.

I've run several loads through it consisting of 150 SSTs, 165SSTs, 150 NABs, Varget, H4895, H380, Rem Brass, Win Brass, and WLR primers. Out of all of those loads the only bullets that went sub moa consistently were the 165SSTs and I'm tickled pink w/ the consistency of them ontop of Varget. The first group of 46 grains Varget under the 165 SSTs went 2715, 2715, and 2715. You don't see that often. I loaded up some more to recheck and the first one out was 2715 as well! After that I did have alittle spread but it was low. That combo is a good bit less than MOA out at 200 so I think she'll be a keeper for sure. This is the first LV 700 I've worked w/, not a bad rifle at all. They could certainly put a better stock on it for the price but, it's not bad after a couple of mods.

Just thought I'd pass on the info incase anyones been thinking of getting one of these little rifles.

Oh yeah, it's a pussy cat off the bench. It would be great for a youngster or lady and heck, I'd hunt w/ it too!

Ya'll have a good one.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader: Great report and much appreciated here!
I am always interested in how various Rifle perform for "the folks" with their various loads!
I have been VERY tempted to try one of the Remington 700 LVSF Rifles and have often looked them over at shops and shows.
I have never seen one in 308 Winchester caliber and indeed went to my 2,006 Remington catalog and they do not show the 700 LVSF available in 308 Winchester.
Was this 308 a limited run Rifle like Remington so often burps forth with or is it possibly the 700 VSF (Varmint Synthetic Fluted) model that Remington does offer in the 308 caliber?
Either way I am happy to hear your Remington is shooting well for you!
The recoil pad on the 700 LVSF models that I have seen sure seems to be "cushy" and obviously prone to absorb a lot of felt recoil!
Thanks again for the report and if you could just verify what model you are working with once more for me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There were limited runs of the LV SF in 308, 7-08 and 243. They are hard to find.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
reloader, great post as usual, i''ve played with the 165 sst in my long tube 308 and they shot lites out at 625 yds, better then 1/2 moa. regards jjmp

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Now I've got to try Varget and the 165 Interbonds which have been languishing on the shelf of the discarded for being worthless in the accuracy department. Couldn't get them to shoot in any of my .30's. Will try in a VSSF/308 of known potential. Thanks

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
try a 150 btip and 50 grns of w748, it gets me almost to 3100fps out of my 26" CZ varmint. that is a tuff combo to beat for trajectory and performance from the 308.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the delay fellas, Been out of town w/ the wife for a few days.

Yeah Varmint Guy, it's the light varmint w/ the 22" barrel. I've seen a few on the net but, this is the first I've laid hands on in person. I wouldn't mind having the same rifle in 7-08 or 260.

jjmp, Yeah, The ssts have sure been accurate in several rifles I've fired them from. They also do quite well on deer at lower velocities from my experience w/ them.

308Sako, Let us know how the IBs do w/ the Varget if you do get a chance to try em'. Sounds like that may be a combo for alittle bigger game out of the ole' 308.

Ya'll have a good one,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Sadly it will be at least a month till I get that opportunity as the wife and I are on the road for an anniversary celebration.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote