THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    new to reloading, I need powder and primer suggestions to start with

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new to reloading, I need powder and primer suggestions to start with
 Login/Join

<Embalmer>
posted
I will soon be starting to reload. I shoot 308 out of a 26 inch HB 700VS and 223 out of a HB Colt Match Target. What I am looking for is a powder that will work well for both the 308 and the 223. If there is such a powder. I also need primer suggestions, I know nothing about primer choices except that there are benchrest primers which seem to be a better choice.

Brass is Lapua new 308 and for the 223 I have about 500 of the Winchester once shot Q3131 and over 1k of the LC XM193 brass. So that is what I will be using for the brass. For the bullets I am planning on the Sierra 168mks and for the 223 I am not sure if I want to go with the 55 or the 62gr. I dont remember which is supposed to be better out of my 20inch HB Colt. I dont remember my rate of twist in the 223 right now. I'll have to look that up again. Any specific suggestions on bullet makers for the 223?

Can someone point me in the right direction for the powder or powders to start with and the primers as well please. Is there a powder that is what would be considered a staple to have for the 308? Kind of like the IMR 4064. I see that listed everywhere and talked about very highly for accuracy in the 308. How well will it work for the 223? Or will it work for the 223?

I am looking for a couple or few powder/primer suggestions to start with.

Thanks in advance for your help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you wanted just one powder for both rounds I think I would try Varget. As far as primers my suggestion would be to use CCI primers. I use CCI BR-2 (those are the large rifle primers like you would use in your .308). Sean

[ 04-13-2003, 06:04: Message edited by: LoneEagle ]

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
AA2015, H335, W748, BLC-2 would be good ones.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`d second Varget for both or as a second choice try H4895.

I use Fed small rifle 205 match primers in my Win HV in 223. I don`t presently have a 308 but when I did and was loading hunting and informal target rounds for it I used CCI br large rifle the most as I recall.

For a bullet in your 223 it`s trial and error, Mine has a 1/9 twist and does fine with the 53 Hornady as a lite bullet load and just as well with 69 gr Sierra bthp.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
all of the fast/mediums
win748
blc2
varget
benchmark
h380

to name a few....

jeffe

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
IMR 4064, 3031, and 4320 will all work in both of those cartridges, as will WW 748....

<Embalmer>
posted
Are all of these powders that are suggested extruded type powders? Or are some the ball or flake type that could be easier to throw more consitantly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Embalmer:
Are all of these powders that are suggested extruded type powders? Or are some the ball or flake type that could be easier to throw more consitantly.

BL-C, 748, and H 380 are small-grained ball type powders. Benchmark, Varget, and the IMR powders are all extruded type powders in which the powder granules look like pencil-lead sections.

Although the ball-type powders do meter somewhat more successfully than the extruded type, you can get very good results in metering the extruded ones too, provided you use a powder meter that handles them well. (I like the Lee Powder Measure, and use it with extruded type powders.)

Lloyd Eby

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
4064 you mentioned is a large stick powder.
Does shoot well in the 308 though.
I like H380 too, and W748.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Most 308s are not fussy. The smaller bore may complain though.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Embalmer>
posted
I just picked up everything I will need to start reloading. I bought the Lee poerfect powder measure just for use with 4064 and like powders. I have read in a few places that the Lee works good with the stick type extruded powders and for $18 I figured I couldnt go wrong. I also will have the RCBS Uniflow that comes with the Master RC kit.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will second what LoneEagle said about primers. I use CCI-BR2 primers from a 22 CHeetah MK 1 to a 375 H&H AI. I have never had ignition problems using the bench rest primer and I shoot in temps from 100 degrees to 30 below zero.

Don

Posts: 263 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Embalmer - There is something about your question that bothers me - you did get yourself at least one reloading manual right? I'm getting the idea you don't(at least when you posted the questions)have one yet. If not - GET ONE (at least). Good luck, you should have much enjoyment reloading you own.

Posts: 309 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Embalmer:
I just picked up everything I will need to start reloading. I bought the Lee poerfect powder measure just for use with 4064 and like powders. I have read in a few places that the Lee works good with the stick type extruded powders and for $18 I figured I couldnt go wrong.

Before you attempt to throw measured amounts of powder with the Lee measure, be sure and follow the directions and run some powder through it in order to get the internal parts properly coated. I'd recommend that you run at least a pound through it -- keep the powder you run through the measure and use it as if it were fresh from the can.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Embalmer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by T/C nimrod:
Embalmer - There is something about your question that bothers me - you did get yourself at least one reloading manual right? I'm getting the idea you don't(at least when you posted the questions)have one yet. If not - GET ONE (at least). Good luck, you should have much enjoyment reloading you own.

Actually I have a few. The newest one that Sierra put out. The new Lyman, hodgdon plus the update and the speer will be coming with the master kit I ordered. I also have the ABC's of reloading which seems to be a good sorce of info on the subject. Not on specific componants but on the process itself.

<Embalmer>
posted
I will be ordering the Varget, and IMR 4064.
As for primers I am still undecided. Does anyone know if a specific primer seems to work better with either of these powders for the 308 or te 223?

<Embalmer>
posted
Not having any experience yet in reloading I was just wondering about the Varget powder that I plan on using. I hear the IMR 4064 (which I also plan on using) is a pain to measure consitantly becuase of its long sticklike design. I was just wondering what Varget is like. If it is the same type of powder and if it meters well or at least consistantly. From all my reading it looks like Varget will be one of the powders I will be using mostly so I am curious to see how well it measures. I will be using the RCBS Uniflow measure as well as the Lee perfect powder measure (which I bought specifically for the 4064). The lee was so damn cheap when I placed my order with Midway and it was the sale item of the week that I just added it to my order for the hell of it and becuase I remember a few threads talking about its consistancy with the 4064.

So how easy is Varget to throw constantly?