THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Which hunting bullets have produced good accuracy in your .270 Win?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which hunting bullets have produced good accuracy in your .270 Win?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am trying to work up accurate hunting loads for a .270 Win., which I recently glass bedded. 130-grain Hornady Interlocks don't produce small (1 moa) groups with any of the powders I have tried so far (Reloder 22, AA 3100 and H4350). I am going to switch bullets and try to do better. Maybe Nosler accubonds are my next logical move. I would very much appreciate knowing what hunting bullets have been accurate in your handloads for that caliber?

Posts: 189 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Brass,

A perfect rifle will shoot any modern bullet well with a decent load. I had a list around here that I should find again for all of us to read on the major causes of rifle inaccuracy but it includes something that's loose all the way thru variable bench technique.

Make sure the scope is good and everything is tight and try another bullet. Since the big game season is close for some of us you might as well spring for the Accubonds. A box of Sierra's would be good too for testing.

The old FN pictured above is very accurate with any load from factory rounds to the VMax. It would be worth a grand or more if it did not have headspace and buggered up mount holes on the action. It shoots however because everything else is right.

We find something in the last place we look. I hope another bullet works for you.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try some IMR 4350 at 54 to 55 gr, with WLR primer. with a 130 sierra B.T. mine will almost lock holes at 100 meters

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After trying every bullet/powder combo imaginable, my .270 only will shoot one bullet well and that is the 130 gr. Nosler ballistic tip with IMR 4350.
Based on a sample of one, this combo kills our big deer quite well.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your suggestions, guys.

Savage99: Unfortunately I don't have any perfect rifles, so I have to keep trying various loads with the imperfect rifles that I own.

Posts: 189 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I'm loading for my fathers T3 in 270 Win and I only tried two bullets and I instantly had his two loads.

The first is his hunting load. 140 gr. Hornady BTSP, 53 gr IMR 4350. We're only getting 2800 fps with it but its mild on recoil, him being a little recoil shy. Every deer he nails with it has gave up the ghost within seconds and it shoots little clover leafs all day long at the range. I actually won a shoot(compact nocs awarded thumb) for tightest group last weekend with this rifle because it was the only thing I had loads for at the moment.

The second load is what we use for a practice round. Its a 140 nosler Btip over 53.5 gr of IMR 4831. This round is only moving 2600 fps but it produces one hole all day long and my ol'man can shoot it all day long with the lack of recoil.

Both loads use Win brass and Fed 210 primers.

I've yet to try out any other bullets. Why bother. Maybe if he takes on a goat hunt next year I'll try an "X" or one of the bondeds.

-------------------------------
Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have many perfect ones either Big Brass and I enjoy the process of getting them to work. That FN was a proven shooter and has headspace so it has a good home here as I make brass from 280's for it. Other than that it's main value is just owning it. It's kind of heavy for hunting what with it only being a 270. It it were a 9.3X62 it would go for $1500.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
140 Accubond, IMR4831 or H4831SC

130 Scirocco, Re19

130 TSX, Re19

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
If you can get a hold of some H4831, it's "Dy-no-mite" in the 270 win.

I've had good luck w/ Nolser 130 & 140 NBTs. I've also had great results w/ the 150 grn. Hdy SPIL Flat Base. The Hdys are great on Whitetails.

My 270 is Zeroed at 200 w/ the 130 NBTs and Luckily the 150 Hdys hit the same POI. The Hdys are alittle higher at 100 but they both are dead on @ 200. (58 grns w/ the 150s and 60 grns w/ the 130s but, these are Max loads so be careful and work up).

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my .270's likes 140 grs Accubonds and 150 grs NPs. Another quite likes 140 grs TSX.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
130 gr. nosler partition and 60 grs. of H4831 is my .270 hunting load. if you try this work up to it in steps. it is a hard hitting and fairly accurate load.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arky65
posted Hide Post
my old ruger 77 likes sierra 130 grain pro hunters over 59.5 grains of h4831. frist time i shot it in years was last year with the above reloads and it still shot a .75 3 shot group. you may have to play around with seating depth to find the sweet spot for accuracy. i have used this same recipe in several .270 rifles and achived 1" moa or less.

people that trade freedom for security become slaves

Posts: 245 | Location: arkansas/louisiana | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Bullet: Sierra 140 Grain HPBT
Powder: 53.1 grains of IMR-4350
Primer: Winchester WLR
Case: Winchester
Firearm: Winchester 70
Optics: Leupold 3x9
Velocity: 2944 FPS @ 15' from muzzle
Accuracy: 5-shot, 100-yard groups, <1.0"

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had such good luck for so long with 59-H4831-130Hornady, that I felt like a traitor when I switched to RL-22 with the same bullet last year. The three rifles I've loaded for didn't much care what bullet I used, they all would do 1 1/4" or better. Accubonds and Interbonds shoot very well in my current barrel, but until I get the chance to go west again, I don't see any need to move away from the Interlock.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck in a bunch of .270's with TSX's and Accubonds as well as CT ballistic tips in both 130 and 150. Best is slightly variable, but as an average the Accubonds are probably the most accurate.

They also do a number on whitetails and elk!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Berretta Mato shoots 140gr Accubonds quite well, and my Sako Finnlites shoots 130gr TSX's extremely well. Both are worth trying with RL-22. Model 70 270 shoots several bullets will with IMR-4831........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Accubonds, 140 grain at 3200 f/sec's 26" bbl, and lots of IMR 7828 in a Ruger #1.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
I have a question for you 270 shooters. Is the
recoil from a 270 noticeably lower than a 30-06,
say comparing 130 bullets in the 270 to 150's in the 30-06? I know this will be entirely subjective and inaccurate, I am just curious if people perceive a lower recoil from a typical 270 than a similiar 30-06.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I do feel less and even with a heavier 30 06 rifle. I've loaded for a T3 and M77 in 270 and a much heavier Sako in 30 06.

The two have basicly the same powder capacity so pushing the heavier bullet should produce the heavier recoil.

You could compare the two both using 150gr. bullets. I don't know if I've tried the 150 in the 30 06 so I won't say. Smaller diametre may produce more pressure...more recoil.

Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Old Elk Hunter, I'd have to say the 270 is less but, marginally. The main difference will come from stock design.

I will say this, My wood stocked 30-06 has much more percieved recoil than my wifes synthetic stocked 270 win but, I feel this is totaly dependent on the difference in the stocks as the wood stock is much more rigid and doesn't have the "give" of the flimzy syn stock. I would thick they'd be quite similar in similar setups. As far as the recoil formula goes they are neck and neck w/ the same weighted projectiles at the same speeds. The difference really comes when you are talking shooting a 270 w/ 130s vs a 30-06 w/ 180s.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
quote:
know this will be entirely subjective and inaccurate,

I think he means "with all things being equal".

More than stock design, RIFLE WIEGHT would apply. Some stock designs, like some of the Weatherby's, asorbe recoil better. The material used is less a factor than the two points I just mentioned.

Too many people........

One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
140gr TSX
53gr H4831SC
Rem. case
WLR primer
equals .45 inches at 100yds

130gr CT Ballistic Silvertip
54.5gr H4831SC
Rem. Case
WLR primer
equals .5 to 1 inch (poor range conditions that day)

Don't have FPS info. Don't have a chrono. Sorry.
Both have the same POI.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your tips on bullets and powders, guys. I appreciate the help.

One of Us
Picture of Croberts
posted Hide Post
Big Brass,
I had a .270 savage that really liked 130gr Nosler Ballistic Tips over a compressed load of H1000. The charge was 63grs and it was highly compressed, it produced good velocity too. B sure to work up though. Good Luck.

A man should never stop learning, so a man should never stop asking questions

Posts: 164 | Location: Abingdon Va. | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Barnes 130 gr TSX 57 gr IMR4350 clocks 3057 fps in my Sako Stainless Synthetic

A lot hotter but still accurate is Barnes 140 gr TSX 59.3 gr IMR 4831 @ 3209 fps

As always start lower and work up cause these loads are for my gun, not yours!!

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks much, guys.

Woods: those are some nice loads!

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 270 shoots .6 inch groups with either the 130 or 150 grain Hornady interlok spire points on top of H4831. I have owned 4 270 rifles and all shot this combination ver well.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tazfla
posted Hide Post
The following load produces <.7" groups @100yds for me out of a WIN Mod 70 w synthetic stock & a KDF muzzle break:
H4831SC = 58gr
CCI primers
Frontier brass
Nosler Balistic tip = 130
One thing I'd like to mention, I will beswitching from the baltistic tip's because in my humble opinion cause too much meat damage.

"si vos non ago pro quispiam, vos intero nusquam"

Posts: 51 | Location: South Miami,Florida (Hurricane Central) | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am going to stick my $.02 in here as well...
Remington box stock BDL, 60 grains of AA 3100, whatever primer you want to use, and anything from 130-grain Sierra Pro Hunters, to Hornady SPs, to my personal favorite, Speer GS. They all cloverleaf at 100. Chrono'd at 3150 with the Speers, and that is seating the bullet .007" off the lands (just to get an even number on the mike...)
What I am seeing from these posts echoes what O'Conner said MANY years ago: the .270 is inherently accurate. (He also said the round kills like a magnum, with far less than magnum recoil....)

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
In my ompletely unmodified, box-stock, pre-64 M70 FW, I have used 61 grs. 4831 (the old stuff, pre-H and pre-IMR) and the 130 gr. standard Hornady SOFB bullets for right at 30 years.

Last time I took it out to check the point of impact before going hunting, it fired a 3-shot, 1-1/4" group at 200 yards. I said "good enough" and went on to shooting a couple of other rifles. (That's with a VX-III 3-9 in a Stith Master Mount...it used to wear a Kollmorgan 4-X but my eyes are starting to get "tired".)

Certainly not a perfect gun, but works for me.

(For 150s, that particular rifle likes Nosler Partitions.)

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Noslers- both Partition Jacket and Accubonds. Sierra 150 PSPBT's as well!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
150gr Partitions and IMR4350 or H4831. About .8"@ 100yds in old Ruger M77.

I'm working up something for 140 Accubonds but it's not there yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
56 grs of H4350 behind a speer 130 gr gave me .5" groups out of a factory barrel rem 700 with a bedded wood stock. It averages 3120 fps out of a 24" barrel.

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerMost anything in 130 grain has worked well.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The most consistently accurate hunting bullet I have tried in the .270 Win. is the 150 Hornady Spirepoint combined with H-4831, and CCI-250 primers. In 4 separate .270s that ranged from a a factory job with a horribly long throat to a custom .270 with a short throat/tight chamber have plunked this load sub moa. I typically load 56-57 grains of H-4831 depending on the rifle & brass manufacturer (Remington typically takes a grain or 2 less than Win in my experience).

-Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
The most accurate bullet I have shot in any

of my .270 Winchesters has been the 150 grain

Sierra gameking boattail,but the core always

seperated but I never lost any game because of it.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote