THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    How many pounds of powder at your house? There are laws?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many pounds of powder at your house? There are laws?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.shotgunnews.com/knox/knox.dog?file=2003102.htm&tissue=2003102
http://64.70.221.101/gloss/storage2.html
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/1221/saami_pw.htm#s93

NATIONAL FIRE PROTECTION ASSOCIATION
470 ATLANTIC AVE., BOSTON, MASS. 02210
AND REPRINTED WITH THEIR PERMISSION;
CODE FOR THE MANUFACTURE, TRANSPORTATION,
STORAGE, AND USE OF EXPLOSIVE MATERIALS
NFPA No. 495
CHAPTER 9. SMALL ARMS AMMUNITION, SMALL
ARMS PRIMERS, SMOKELESS PROPELLANTS AND
BLACK POWDER PROPELLANTS
93. SMOKELESS PROPELLANTS

931. Quantities of smokeless propellants in shipping container approved by the U.S. Department of Transportation not in excess of 25 pounds may be transported in a passenger vehicle.

932. Quantities in excess of 25 pounds but not exceeding 50 pounds in a passenger vehicle shall be transported in a portable magazine having wooden walls of at least 1-inch nominal thickness.

933. Transportation of quantities in excess of 50 pounds is prohibited in passenger vehicles.

934. Commercial shipments of smokeless propellant for small arms in quantities not exceeding 100 pounds are classified for transportation purposes as a flammable solid when approved by the Bureau of Explosives and when packaged in accordance with the U.S. Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations. Title 49 CFR, Transportation, Section 173.197a. Shipments of quantities of smokeless propellant for small arms in excess of 100 pounds or in packages not in accordance with Title 49 CFR, Transportation, Section 173.197a, shall be in compliance with U.S. Department of Transportation regulations for Propellant Explosives Class B.

935. All smokeless propellants shall be stored in shipping containers specified by the U.S. Department of Transportation.

936. Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not to exceed 20 pounds may be stored in original containers in residences; quantities over 20 pounds but not to exceed 50 pounds may be stored in residences in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of at least 1-inch nominal thickness.

937. Not more than 20 pounds of smokeless propellants, in containers of 1-pound maximum capacity, shall be displayed in commercial establishments.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well worth posting!

My question, still lingering from the first time I read it, is, is this law, or just a safety group standard? NFPA is a safety organization.

And what's a residence? I researched that once, and it seems to have no legal definition, like domicile does. So, if I have 50 pounds of powder, can I keep it in a storage shed, separate from my house? Or is the shed part of my residence?

I've searched, and still can't answer those questions.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Were I currently live we are limited to 5kg of powder, though that is per licence holder, not the premesis so I can keep more on other peoples licence.

With 5kg of powder you really can't laod for more than a few cartridges...

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Brother/BATF says you may have no more than 20 pounds of powder is one place, without an approved safe.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 19 1/2 pounds of powder. [Wink]

Posts: 308 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Noone's business but mine. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And for the Canucks here, the limit is 10 kg (22 pounds) within your house, anymore has to be stored in a magazine away from your house (I can't remember the regs about that, re: distance) Storage in either place nust be in a 1" thick walled wooden box with brass fittings and fasteners (to avoid sparks). Away from your house, providing the other rules are complied with, there is no maximum that I know of. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
About a third as much as what I would comfortable with.

The solution is to poor it in little brass containers and put a lead stopper on it. Then it doesn't count.....LOL! Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never really thought about it until now. I just went to my reloading room and checked. 23 pounds, according to the weights listed on the containers. Since they're not all full, I'm sure I'm under the limit. I try to keep a little of everything on hand, but that limit makes it tough is you buy powder in 8# kegs for the firearms you shoot the most.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OOOOOPPPPSSSS !!!

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HAVE ENOUGH powder and primers that the local volunteer fire department said they were going to stand back and watch the house through heavy lenses.

I built a separate building for all my "stuff" and do all my reloading there. Which by the way was great. Makes it much more difficult to get disturbed by those "honey" or "dad" calls that always lead into some marathon project you had not planned for. [Big Grin]

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
23 but they ain't all full, so I'm not a criminal, right? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by denton:
Well worth posting!

My question, still lingering from the first time I read it, is, is this law, or just a safety group standard? NFPA is a safety organization.

I've searched, and still can't answer those questions.

NFPA is a safety organization that recommends standards to industry and insurance co. Their standards/codes might be used in design requirements, denying claims, or assessing liability.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any powder in my house, as far as you know [Big Grin] .

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Are There any National "LAWS" governing the amount of smokeless powder one may have in posession,on a premissise, or in a residence in the USA? Are there some well defined National storage laws or any other pertenent USA laws that would be important to us? We've heard from Italy and Canada . Where does one go to find out? I speak of an authoritive source. [Embarrassed] I've never ever thought about this before. I guess that's what I desevre taking my freedom for granted. [Eek!]

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
<Poppy09>
posted
Brent, it's only a matter of time till it's official. But in the minds of many yes, we are. Last year our home was broken into, not much loss but the police were summoned and most of their attention was soon focused on my reloading room. Seasoned cops acting like ninnies, actually spastic over the amounts of powder and primers and such. Not a damn thing illegal, just a lot of necessary "stuff" I must have heard five times,what do you need with this stuff, don't you know there are laws regarding this stuff? I replied, name them..Certainly some of these guys re-loaded. Although I noted no loss of powder or primers and such they covered the damn room with fingerprinting residue. Just an effort to intimidate me. But I expect these kinds of things.Yep, we're suspects for sure, and as soon as possible they'll brand us criminals. Jim.....

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
937. Not more than 20 pounds of smokeless propellants, in containers of 1-pound maximum capacity, shall be displayed in commercial establishments.

Except in Alaska [Big Grin] .

20 cans doesn't seem like that many and there are a few places that have bigger cans on display.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
A serious note, a couple of years back a local rifle competitor had his house catch fire. He had "several" caddies of powder. They acted as smokeless powder does in a fire, and accellerated things out of control very quickly.

The firefighters were also none to interested to find out up close and personal whether it was going to go "woosh" or "boom".

The upshot was that he lost his house, and it might have been saved, otherwise. I wouldn't have liked to take his place in the negotiations with his homeowners insurance! Makes remote storage look much more attractive...... JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The NFPA guidelines are just exactly that -- guidelines. They are not even a part of any code (unless specifically adopted by a jurisdiction). Unless an insurance company asks you specifically about flamables kept in or near the household or has a clause in the policy limiting such flamables, then there is no issue as to coverage.

If I were the insurer (or the fire department), I'd be much more concerned about the two gallon can of lawnmower gas in the garage (not to mention the 20 gallons in the car tank), the LP cylinder on the barbarque grill, and the two dozen propane-propelled aerosol cans in the bathroom and the kitchen than any amount of smokeless propellant kept in the spark-proof containers. The ratio of Christmas Tree fires to smokeless powder fires is probably about 50,000 to 1.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Unstable
posted Hide Post
from the ATF website.

http://www.atf.gov/explarson/fedexplolaw/index.htm

http://www.atf.gov/explarson/fedexplolaw/qanda.pdf

" 17. Is small arms ammunition subject to regulation under federal explosives laws?
No. The law specifically exepts small arms ammunition and components thereof; therefore, primers and smokeless propelants designed for use in small arms ammunition are expempt from regulation under chapter 40 (see also question 75). However is should be noted that persons engaging in the buisness of importing and manufacureing smokelss powder must have a Federal Explosives licence [18 U.S.C. 845(a)(4);27 CFR 141 (a)(4)]

75. Is smokeless powder designed for use in small arms ammunition subject to the explosives storage requirements?
No. Smokeless powder designed for use in small arms ammunition is exempt under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 40 and the regulations in 27 CFR Part 55. However, Smokeless powder intended for this purpose is subject to control under 27 CFP Part 178, "Commerce in firearms and ammunition", as a compound of ammunition (see also question 17). [18 U.S.C. 845(a)(4); 27 CFR 55.11 definition of "ammunition", 55.141(a)(4)]

if someone wants to dig through this, go ahead... but I didnt see anything.
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_02/27cfr178_02.html

also this does NOT APPLY to black powder. black powder is limited to 50lbs for personal use.(as far as I can tell)then you start needing special storage and licences.

also IANAL

Posts: 201 | Location: NJ, USA | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To hell with what anybody says about how much powder or loaded ammo you have. Is it legal to buy? Consider: the closets of many women in this country are filled with clothing made of synthetic fibers. Polyester goes up in a whoosh when it catches fire. Are there any ATF rules and regulations about how many items of poly clothing a person can have in his house? Just another reason to reach for a nausea bag.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek is EXACTLY correct about smokeless powder vs. gasoline in a structure fire environment. Smokeless powder is a VERY POOR accellerant and is not capable of "high order" detonation under any circumstances of compression or confinement. As a fire/arson investigator, I am not worried about the amounts of powder home reloaders have on hand to pursue their hobbies. Black powder is LOT more dangerous, and is termed a "low order explosive" rather than a "propellant" like smokeless powder.

The gasoline is still the most dangerous of the three, though--neither powder type can be misted or evaporated in an atmosphere to form a combustible mixture like the liquid can. This is how most drug lab explosions occur--petrochemical or organic chemical vapors mix with environmental air (oxygen) and at a certain point reach what is called "lower explosive limit". These fumes can actually reach a point where the fumes become too concentrated to support combustion--as in a "flooded" engine. If the concentration is between those two limits--and an ambient spark occurs--BOOM.

In short--it amazes me how casually gasoline is treated, and how scared everyone is of gun powders, when their relative hazards are objectively viewed.

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote