Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 cal 300GN LFN
 Login/Join

posted
anyone shoot 300Gn LFN bullets...have some from Hunters supply and need to load them for Henry 44 lever action..Thanks

Posts: 8 | Location: WV | Registered: 01 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned 3 different 44 Mag rifles, and helped friends load for several others.

When loading for a lever there are a few things to consider.

First is overall length, too long and the rifle will not feed.
Second if the nose shape of the bullet is wrong or for a SWC if the edges on the "WC" part of the bullet are too sharp, it will not feed.

Third how much powder you can use with a 300gr bullet depends on EXACTLY which 300gr bullet you have, ie what is the seating depth going to be. How much of the bullet is inside the case, how much is sticking out [see first point above].

I know that in a Winchester 44 Mag, many of the long nosed 300gr bullets, ie a lot of bullet seated out of the case, will not work as they have too long an AOL.
These long seated bullets will work in many revolvers, but not the lever rifles.

However the Federal 300gr Cast Core bullets will feed and function through a Winchester.
Its OAL is very close to the standard 240gr factory loads.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I know thats a verey large bullet. I went to the Hunters supply web site and the bullet is used in lever action rifles. I know what u mean it has a lot bullet inside the case. I looked in my Lyman 48th Ed manual and they show 300GN in 44Mag.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My brother has used Lees 315gr wfn in his marlin 44 lever says they shoot very well.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help..think I will load a few and let my cousin try it and go from there. thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What rifle do you have. The marlin 1894 44 mag has a very slow rifling twist, and supposedly won't stabilize long heavy bullet very well. You would just have to shoot it to verify if this is true.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote