Find
Notify
Tools

Federal ammo in 416 Rigby
 Login/Join

<jthessen>
posted
Hello
Can someone enlighten me regarding the price on Federal ammo, I am not sure of the price in the US but here i Sweden it is close to
$ 245 for 20.
I know its primo quality, but my reloads are totally dependent of the bullet I use. (primer and powder is very cheap)
Do Federal use match grade everything, and x-ray every round, individually or what ?
Or did they assume, since you already have a Rigby rifle , ammo cost is not an issue?

Oh, and a question, the Neco is about 3 times as much as the case master is it a lot faster and easier to use? (maybe I�m just being ripped off?)

Best Regards
Jens

<Reloader66>
posted
Premium ammo in the large capacity cases from all the major cartridge companies is very high cost. In the US a box of 20 416 Rigby would cost 100 bucks or more. Your cost is even higher if your paying hasmat fees for American made ammo shipped to your country. The word cheap no longer exists in any language.
Reloading supplies are no longer cheap. Powder is 20 bucks a pound, premium bullets are are well over 25 bucks a hundred. Unprimed brass has gone to over 200 per case in some cartridges. Primers are 20 bucks per thousand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Australia the 416 ammo and the big Wbys are about $120US for 20.

Undoubtedly it is a combination of what the market will bear plus of course much lower numbers of sales.

I would say in general terms, prices start to suddenly hike from the 375 H&H up

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<jthessen>
posted
I can�t imagine myself walking in to the gun shop asking for 3 boxes of rounds, all of a sudden the ammo cost would exceed the cost of the rifle
(CZ) Even if I load with the most expensive bullet I have seen (Speers AGS tungsten solid) i land at about 10 bucks a round (brass included)
Well well maybe i should just be lucky its still legal to roll your own. We dont have an NRA equivalent.

Thanks for the input, gives me some perspective.

//Jens

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jens,

If you want to relieve the pressure on you caused by 416 Rigby prices do a search on Kynock and look at some of the prices for 600 Nitro and 700 Nitro ammo. Also the Westley Richards site is a goodone tobring things back to reality.

You are now getting into the $50 to $100 per shot area.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jthessen:
I can�t imagine myself walking in to the gun shop asking for 3 boxes of rounds, all of a sudden the ammo cost would exceed the cost of the rifle
(CZ) Even if I load with the most expensive bullet I have seen (Speers AGS tungsten solid) i land at about 10 bucks a round (brass included)

Jens,

Our situation in the States is only a little different. For one reason or another, my numbers and Reloader66's are a little different. I think that Federal offers only two loads, both super-premium bullets, one for about $155 list, the other about $175 list, for a boix of 20.

Norma brass is $155/100 or a little more, and bullets range from about $53/100 (Hornady Soft Point) upward.

I wouldn't have bought a CZ if I couldn't reload.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
<jthessen>
posted
Just back from WR - what refreshing news!

I`ll stop my boring whining now.

Thanks

Best reg

Jens

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Don't know where you guys buy your ammo, but Federal Premium in .416 Rigby with the 410 grain Woodleigh bullet is $86 a box here, with the 410 grain solid it is $86 a box, with the 400 grain TBBC it is $95 as well as with the 400 grain TBSS.

And if you buy by the case, it is around $5 a box cheaper.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WHERE in MT are you finding those prices ???
Cheapest I found the Federal .416 Rigby with the 410 TBBC was $110 a box.
What do the Rem Safari Grade .375 H&H with A-Squares go for???

FN

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
If you can get your hands on powder over there you should be OK.

I just looked in Midway and we know their not the cheapest.

20 rounds norma brass 416 rigby $40, Bell Brass $37 for 20.

bullets from hornady 400g RN $25 for 50.

Get some Federal 215 primers and you should be able to reload something fairly cheap.

How much brass do you need on hand.

I haven't had a herd of Cape Buffalo run through lately myself.

Hope this helps.

<jthessen>
posted
Sure wish I had a green card!

Norma MRP is about $30 a can (500 grams)
Primers run from $30 to $50 a 1000
Brass has gone from a buck each, to $2 each
sad part are the bullets speer 350 gr about $35 for 50 (haven`t seen any cheaper)

I am a little surprised that Huntingtons can
have better price than dealers in sweden.
Naturally, The States are a much better market.
Not many cape buffs here, though.

// Jens

<Big50>
posted
Brass up here is 40-45 for 20rds and Barnes and Swift bullets are 50.00 for 50rds. The loaded stuff is 90-110 depending on bullet type. Powder is 21. Costs me $1.65 a round if I get 10 reloads out of a box of brass.

Brent