New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinion on the Lee Pro 1000.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know, Dillon is the best, just can't justify the cost diffrence right now. Just wondering what opinion people with reloading experince had on this press. I am new to reloading and am looking at reloading 9mm, .40, .45, and .223. Not relly for accuracy, but don't want lead flying every where but what I,m aiming at. I like shooting and like hitting targets, but am not trying to hit a drink can at 100yds with a .45. This press seems to be inexpensive and will serve the pourpose I am buying it for, but would like people with experince to give their opinion on it.

What are some good, inexpensive, plinking loads for the above ammo?

Any other advice is welcome, as I have never reloaded one single round.

The answer to any question you have is in the Bible.

Without the mistakes of the past, there would be no wisdom for the future.

Posts: 79 | Location: Duncan, NC | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just got a pro 1000 for .40 cal. I've only loaded once this past weekend. Its also my first press. It worked just fine, didnt seem to have to many problems. But, if I had it to do again I would buy the lee turret press. The reason is, on the progressive(1000), you have 3 operations going on at the same time. Its tough to keep up with it. On the turret you have one operation at a time, and I believe that would be easier to keep up with. It probably comes down to confidence in yourself and the press. But, its not a bad press and I will keep it. I got the parts to convert it to reload .44 mag/spl this weekend. I'm sure i'll get another press to but its fun so far. Also, you can load just one round at a time and that makes it easy to. later Bill

Posts: 13 | Location: Madison, NC | Registered: 23 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back when I shot IPSC a lot, I used the Lee with great success. I loaded 3000 rounds per month some times when I was practicing for a large match. On occaision, I would flip a primer, but once you get it set right, they work pretty darn well.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys.

Anyone else?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lee 1000 is pure junk save your money and buy a dillon 450 you will not be disappointed, Believe me ive been reloading for 30 years.

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may find that a Hornady LNL AP is a better (wiser?) investment. It works; the same cannot always be said of Lee equipment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A lee 1000 is pure junk save your money and buy a dillon 450 you will not be disappointed, Believe me ive been reloading for 30 years.

I'm using the Lee, and it's not pure junk. Setup is key, and one should be careful, anyway. It works just fine and costs a fraction of what the Dillon does. Yes, I would rather have a Dillon, but not if it's my money.

Posts: 16106 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a pro 1000 and am very satisfied for the money invested. I am not a high volume loader, maybe 8-10 thousand rounds a year on the progressive, 4 pistol catridges and 223 and have had only one problem, I let it run out of primers ONCE, that's all it took to teach me that mistake is a mess to clean up and get it working again. For the 223 I use Lee collet dies and the double disc kit loading ball powders, this is for a bolt gun and works just fine. Now for the down side, I personally wouldn't recommend a progressive set up for anyone just starting to reload, but that's just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses.

PillBilly, why do you say the Lee is junk. Have you had a personal bad experince with it? If so, what problems have you had with it?

I know the Dillon is a better press, but as I stated, just can't justify the cost right now. It's not about saving my money, I could buy the Dillion if I wanted it, I'm just new to reloading and want to see if I am going to like doing it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well they may have gotten a little better as my bad experience was about 10 years ago. In a nutshell the primer system screwed up a lot and dumped powder all over. Then after 20 minutes of cleanup to get started again maybe 10 minutes of reloading then a primer seat malfunction. On this particular press a little powder messed up the whole press. Unlike a Dillon which very rarely screwes up a primer seat. And on the dillon 450 You can back up the system easily blow off or brush off the powder spill and you are back in business in seconds. This might happen once in a thousand in a Dillon press.Also on the Dillon you can feel the primer being seated. The lifetime guarantee from Dillon and the customer support make it the logical choice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should consider that Dillon equipment can be re-sold easily with a high return if you change your mind about reloading.

Lee equipment occupies a distinctly unique place in the market: it is the low(est) cost product. It cannot have any competition; maintaining minimum production costs and profit level insures that no one selling on price can survive competing against it. Materials and production methods are economically compromised. The result is that the users of this equipment must be willing to accept its deficiencies. Anyone else should shop elsewhere.

quote:
Yes, I would rather have a Dillon, but not if it's my money.

The consummate description of Lee's target customer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cavscout - I have owned 2 different Lee Pro-1000's and would not own or use another one...ever. I found them to be prone to malfunctions, easily come out of adjustment, and the primer feed system routinely failed on both of them.

Lee makes a good many products that are excellent (the Lee factory crimp die comes to mind), but the Pro-1000 isn't one of them.

I've been reloading for almost 50 years and in all that time, I've never met the person who didn't like the RCBS Rockchucker and the Dillon 550. My suggestion is to get yourself a single stage Rockchucker and find out if you like reloading. If you do, you will eventually move on up to the Dillon 550 or 650, and my guess is you will want to keep the single stage as a backup when you do.

Happy reloading.

Cpt. Jack

Posts: 83 | Location: Soda Springs, ID USA | Registered: 25 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes a single stage is great still have my Lyman Orange crusher. It works great but the RCBs rockchucker is better I think. If you main concern Is rifle a single stage is great still use mine. But for pistol reloading in quantity use a Dillon. My Dillon also does a great job on quantity reloading for rifles. Good Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot think the Dillon 450 has been upgraded to a 550 mine is 15 years old

One of Us
posted Hide Post
there are very good reasons why whenever anyone asks about a progressive loader dillon comes up as #1

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
I have been contemplating "upgrading" to a progressive loader for a couple of years.
I have heard good and bad about every brand, including Dillon, RCBS, Hornady, etc.

I currently have 4 presses mounted in a line on my bench (RC II, JR2, JR2, JR) and I use them as a kind of "turret" press. I prefer to tumble my brass before reloading, so I am going to deprime first anyway.

It winds up being a matter of loading ONLY pistol calibers, and loading alot of rounds, buy the Dillon.
$175 really isn't such a big deal if you spered it over 10,000 rounds.
If you spred the cost over say 3,000 rounds, your cost goes way up.
The Lee Pro 1000 will load .223 also. The Dillon 550 will not.

While I have found there are Lee detractors, Lee has almost as many fans as detractors.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok Lee makes a few good gadjets like the lee factory crimp. They make case trimmers that I use on my drill press which work great. Their basic lee loader shotgun reloader has loaded thousands of shotgun shells for me. Although mine is so old it has a steel base which is stronger than the plastic bases now used. Also their auto prime for this reloader is junk it jams. The powder baffels for this dont drop the amount designated in their charts. I have used a dremel tool on the powder baffels and the powder and shot hoppers. You mightsay I have redisigned this loader!! It now works great except for any shot larger than 4 so I hand load bigger shot! I load 2 and3 quarter and 3 inch loads and my own slugs which I cast myself. I would like to meet Richard lee if he is still alive and show him what I have done. Of cource I would want to be paid!! This company reminds me of someone who has good ideas but doesnt take the time or expense to complete the job and do it right. When I f----- around with that lee ( non pro) 1000 for 3 to 4 hours with constant primer seat failures and powder messes I threw all the pieces back in the box ( it was a mess) and ducktaped it up and sent it back to Midway for a refund! I think I also went to the fridg and drank a few along with the curses. Good Luck idf you buy one!! Have a few beers if you drink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old dillon 450 b and it sure will reload 223s 3006 308 ect. I presume the 550 will too. It does a great job period!! Again if rifle reloading is your main concern and you dont load a whole lot a single stage is the way to go.