Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder Choices for 9mm and 45acp
 Login/Join

posted
My son and I are starting to reload for these two and we'd like to find one powder that works really well for both, if that's possible! Loading mainly for target shooting at this point, but IDPA matches could be in our future. Need something that is fairly clean burning and consistent when used in hot/cold weather. Any info appreciated!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Lots of powders will work well, don`t how many will do "really well" though. The 2 cartridges are at opposit ends of the pressure spectrum for handgun cartridges and the best powder at one pressure level may not be the best choice at the next.
That said, I`d look at Titegroup since you want something mostly for paper.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clays

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Been using up some odds and ends I've had around for a while, leftovers from 20ga shotgun work. HS6 in the 9mm and WSF in the 45 both seem to work well in their respective cartridges but once I'm out of them I'll be looking elsewhere. Anyone here used Auto Comp? We are trying to load something that approximates typical self defense ammo speed to allow us to practice with ammo similar to what we carry with.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Self defense ammo is usually high velocity/high pressure....making a single powder for both problematic. Power Pistol is an option, it gives high velocity with both 9mm/115s and .45/185s. Actually, in Speer data BlueDot is high on the list for some bullet weights, but it does not meter as well as PP does.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Look at Accurate #5, versitile, clean, meters very well. Works well for both 9mm & .45 ACP for both cast and jacked bullets.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Try Unique! Thought of as the top powder for 45 ACP, and it works very nice in the 9MM Luger as well. Also, you can load any shotgun gauge you may want with this powder.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Powders I have tested that worked well in both the 9mm and 45 ACP.

Bullseye. 4.5 grains Bullseye and a 230 LRN for the 45 ACP and 4.0 grains Bullseye with a 125 LRN in the 9mm.

W231. 5.0 grains W231 with a 230 LRN for the 45 ACP and 4.1 grains W231 with a 125 LRN in the 9mm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Win 231 works well. I also have a bunch of Hi-Skor 700X and it works.

Posts: 161 | Location: Denair Ca USA | Registered: 21 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for 231. Load it in my 9mms and 45s.

posted Hide Post
I used 5.3 gr. W231 with the H&G 68 200gr. bullet in the .45 ACP during my PPC years (and still), and 4.0 W231 with the 125 LRN 9mm for fun now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
How you are doing your loading makes a difference in the powder that will work best for you.

WW231 and WSF both work well in powder measures for progressive reloading. They develop good velocity but not max velocity loads.

Unique has been better for me when developing max loads but it does not go through a powder measure as well so I seldom use it in those chamberings.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doug Pisano
posted Hide Post
Using 5gr 231 in 9mm (124gr GD), 40SW and 45acp. All jacketed bulets.

drdougrx

Please enjoy my hunting photos if you wish!
http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx/

Posts: 84 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote