Find
Notify
Tools

45ACP Primer Pockets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted

What is the reason there are small pockets for a 45ACP ? From Federal/Blazer R&P is Large , I have never seen a small primer used for 45 ACP .

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Federal makes some non-toxic loads for the 45 acp as well as the 9mm. Designed with a primer without any lead. The story I heard was that they originally designed the primer for the 9 mm which uses a small sized primer. When they decided to start making non toxic 45 acp ammo it was easier to just use the same primer as used in the 9 mm load instead of designing/producing a large size pistol primer for the 45 acp.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
quote:
When they decided to start making non toxic 45 acp ammo it was easier to just use the same primer as used in the 9 mm load instead of designing/producing a large size pistol primer for the 45 acp.

What is Non Toxic ammo ????

Don't take the chip !

One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
no need anymore. The pistols that took "moon" clips could have the hammer strike slightly off center due to play in the clips,cylinder wear,etc.
Since these pistols are not as common as they used to be, the ammo company went to small primers to save money in materials. Most of the semi-auto pistols have the firing pin well centered into the loaded cartridges.
follow the money trail.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Concho42:

What is Non Toxic ammo ????

These days that means the primers don't use lead styphnate or mercury compounds.
I can't say I've heard the "green" primers are any less reliable & they haven't really been around long enough to note any problems with shelf life.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
Thank You ! Oddbod

Don't take the chip !