Find
Notify
Tools

Modern 6.5 X 55
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys:

Looking for a load for the 6.5 X 55 in a modern rifle using Hornady 120 gr A- Max bullets.

Any help out there?

Thanks,

Bob

Posts: 126 | Location: Wilbraham, MA 01095 | Registered: 28 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
You could try doing this as a guideline;

quote:
260 Rem
120 GR. SPR SP Hodgdon H4350 .264" 2.780" 43.5 2814 51,400 PSI 46.5 2960 58,200 PSI

6.5x55
120 GR. NOS BT Hodgdon H4350 .264" 3.000" 41.5 2545 36,800 CUP 46.0 2792 45,800 CUP

6.5-06
120 GR. SFT SP Hodgdon H4350 .264" 3.150" 45.0 2823 54,300 PSI 49.0 2996 63,300 PSI
A 6% increase in powder charge in the 260 produces a 13.2% increase in pressure.
A 10.8% increase in the 6.5x55 produces a 24.5 % increase in pressure.
The target pressure for the modern 6.5x55 would be 51,000CUP - an 11.4% increase. That would require around 6% increase in powder from 46gr which gives 48.75gr. That is only an indication of what one might expect with some powders! H4350 seems to work for this. BUT! All loads need to be worked up! (Obviously). Note that the bullets listed are not the same and are not the ones you want to use. One should also look at how the pressue increases for the same powder in a larger case.
The 6.5-06 shows a similar pressure increase with the same powder so it looks like that would indeed be your ballpark. But I must cover myself by saying that is only an expected ballpark! Wink It's not an official load data! Big Grin

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
303:

Thanks for the info. I have some I4350 and the load data from the 100 gr and 129 gr Horn bullets. I may just do some extrapolation and err on the side of caution.

Thanks again.

Best,

Bob

Posts: 126 | Location: Wilbraham, MA 01095 | Registered: 28 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have some I4350

IMR (or H) 4350 is on the right track.

Work up from 44 grains with the 120 grain bullets.

You did say modern loads so you might see over 3,000 FPS

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
From Hogdgon's website.

Its for the Nosler BT but that is similar to Hornady Amax

120 GR. NOS BT IMR 4350 COL 3.000"

Wt vel pressure
43.0 2631 39,500 CUP

46.8C 2863 46,000 CUP

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Do you know what the rate of twist in your rifling?

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
James:

Not sure of the twist.

Guys:

Have worked up a load of of 45.5 of I 4350, and it seems to shoot very well. Have not chronod as yet.

Thanks for your help.

BTW, 'dem Tikkas can shoot.

Bob

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
That sounds about right, that seems to be in the same ball park of what I was loading for my swede. Its not fresh off the top of my head, its been with the gun smith all winter. Should be back soon.
If you want to PM me and talk about working out loads with your new swede to my old feel free. But then again, I maybe able to work up to the new pressures after getting it back from the smithy.
Best of luck!

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
James:

Thanks for the offer.

That's a fine looking Swede. Do you use it on these Maine whitetails?

Bob

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Do you have, or can you take one of your swede?
I use it on everything Wink I should have a good enough accuracy to use the 110-120gr to hit coyote, around here its like hunting white tail. Kills are usually under 50yds. But I prefer to use 140's accost the table so I can don't have to mess with the ballistics much, and re-sight the scope in.

But when I get it back, it will have new internals in the bolt, new barrel, muzzle brake, barrel, stock and trigger. Then blued to a nice flat black after sand blast dimpling so I can use some duracoat if I would choose to.

NRA LIFE MEMBER