New
Find
Notify
Tools

10mm reloading question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've purchased a new Glock in 10mm. I've heard that cast boolits are "not good" in a Glock. Is this true? I also need some guidance on a good powder. What works? What works really well?

Thanks
DH

Posts: 277 | Location: Newton, MS | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DH,
Yes, cast bullets are "not good" in glocks. Especially a 10.
The 10 is one of my favorite pistol calibers. Good powders for high end loads include AA#9 (my favorite), longshot, 800x, and blue dot. For lower end/target loads, use just about any medium/fast pistol powder with appropriate data. I wouldn't push the 10 in a glock too hard given the poor chamber support at the bottom of the case.

Wes

Posts: 213 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you're looking for a cheaper bullet that will work try the plated ones

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an EAA Witness in 10mm. I have used 200 gr.cast bullets (Montana Bullet Works) and AA#7 and AA#9 powders. You could use plated bullets as Butch suggested, but you could also use heavier jacketed bullets for the 40S&W. They make 200 gr. jacket flat points for the 40. As mentioned above, AA#9 is the best powder I have used for this gun/caliber.
Modified: Go to the Glock Talk forum. You will find plenty of info. on the 10mm.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you could carefully load lead bullets in the Glock, but IMO, not worth the extra hassle. Any 165gr-200gr jcaketed or plated bullet works well int the 10mm. I like Longshto, AA#7 & plan on trying AA#9. Of course, any powder will work for low vel. low pressure loads.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I have never used any AA powder but it looks like AA#9 will be in my cabinet tomorrow. I went by my dealer today to purchase the Glock 20. He was out but has 3 on order and expects them by the end of the month.

one of us
posted Hide Post
fredj makes an interesting point. AA#9 is the favorite powder because it extracts maximum velocity and good accuracy from the 10mm. If you are not looking for this then there are plenty of other powders. However, why get a 10mm if you are only looking for 40S&W performance from it?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 40 S&W. I'm buying the 10mm for "that little extra something" I think it will provide. Just took me a long time to decide on the Glock. The military/LE discount available, along with a lot of recommendations from my friends in LE swung me to the Glock. Can't wait to "fire off a few" at the range. While I am waiting, I will gather my components and have a few samples ready. Thanks for the info on reloading this round.

DH

one of us
posted Hide Post
I load #7, #9, Longshot and Silhouette with 180gr JHP in my DW CBOB and Witness Elite Match. For high powder loads with top velocities Longshot is king(1300+fps). For accuracy #7 is tops, Silhouette and Longshot about equal with #9 coming in a distant 4th.

If I had to pick one powder for my 10's I think it would be Silhouette. With my 180's velocities are just over 1200fps and accuracy is very good. But, I don't have to pick only one so I choose all 4.

Good Luck, enjoy your 10mm, it is an outstanding cartridge and a blast to shoot.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My powder of choice w/Speer 180gr GD's @1300+ fps in several fully supported 10mm chambered slide guns is 13.0gr of AA#7.
Don't try this load in your "Combat Tupperware" un-supported chamber as once fired brass will be junk.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 429 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dans40XC:
My powder of choice w/Speer 180gr GD's @1300+ fps in several fully supported 10mm chambered slide guns is 13.0gr of AA#7.
Don't try this load in your "Combat Tupperware" un-supported chamber as once fired brass will be junk.

13gr?? That's a full grain more than any data I have and 2.3gr higher than Accurate's data. Ya think ya used nuff powder there Butch?

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, I have a Witness Elite Match in 10mm as well. perhaps you can PM me with some of your loads? I looked for Longshot and could not find any. So far, AA#9 has shown the most accuracy (over #7). I have only used 200 grain bullets (cast and jacketed) with cast being the most accurate.
Peter.