Find
Notify
Tools

Loading (Not Reloading) 22LR
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of flylo
posted
I picked up 8,000 rds of 22LR primed cases & need to know if anyone has any info on loading them. Any & all help is appreciated! Thanks!

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 707 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: 20 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I did this for no other reason as "to try it"
What I found worked in my Remington 514 rifle was:
1.5 grns of Green Dot
1.4 grns of Red Dot
1.4 grns of Universal Clays
1.4 grns of Rex Number 2
I never tried any Pistol powders for the reason loading the cartridge is a PITA.
You want to use an electronic scale,not a balance beam due to the low powder charge weight.
Do not TRY the loads in a semi-auto. Use a bolt gun first.
When a .22 case fails it is not good for your face. Wear safety glasses.
No idea of MV but they were at least Standard Velocity and hit at the point of aim at 50 yards.
8,000 cases,you poor man. I gave up after 300 rounds.
I used a pair of Blasting Cap Crimping Pliers to crimp the bullet. You can buy a .22LR crimping tool these days.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention, I lubed the bullets in hot Paraffin by dipping and touching the nose of the bullet on a paper towel to dab off the excess "lube" This worked very well and there was no leading.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of flylo
posted Hide Post
Thank you! That will help a lot. Like you I just have to try it. I have a home range & can shoot out the loading room window which is handy in the winter & will keep me busy. Thanks again!

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 707 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: 20 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where are you getting bullets? Or are you casting your own?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of flylo
posted Hide Post
I'll cast my own starting with the above mold in the kit & later may machine my own mold.