New
Find
Notify
Tools

Officially a reloader as of today....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
.....and hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday, I'll still have all my fingers and my face!

Finally had the time, fortitude, and solitude to sit down at my humble little reloading bench I've been piecing together and loaded my first thirty rounds of ammo on my own. I've done some reloading in the past with a friend of the family, and did have him give me a little refresher on his equipment this week (including the same scale and powder thrower).

I have to work tonight, so maybe heading to the range tomorrow or Wednesday to try these loads out. Started with ten rounds each, 223, 300 win mag, and 358 win. All starting loads from published data.

And of course the requisite pictures:

My reloading bench, which I can already imagine needs to be bigger

How I've decided to package my reloads for now

My reloading partner

And clearly what my little partner thinks I should be doing instead of reloading

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you sir! Reloading is one of the few hobbies I know to enjoy for a lifetime.

Posts: 557 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington | Registered: 26 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And so it begins!...

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wwjmbd
posted Hide Post
Reloading room looks great. The office chair is a good idea, you will likley spend alot of time in there, makes it easier on the back to have a nice chair like that.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you know it you'll become a handloader.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll still have all my fingers and my face!

Brandon,

I remember squeezing the trigger on my very first self-stuffed .38 Spl's wondering of I was going to blow up my hand & revolver .... and that with a target load of 2.8 grs. of Bullseye & 148 gr. wadcutters!

From the appearance of those outstandingly good looking .358 Winchesters you've loaded I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Good Luck, let us know the results of your loads and welcome to the wonderful World of Reloading.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice, neat bench. Trust you will keep it that way as it EXPANDS. Enjoy. Be safe.

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club, a few thoughts....

1. If you just started this, where the heck did you find all that powder and primers?

2. A suggestion if I may be so bold. Store your powder someplace else that requires some effort to get to and have one and only one powder at your bench at anytime. I'm having this vision of you sitting at your bench and reaching up to grab one powder and getting another. If this were to happen, the results could be bad.

3. Nothing says "I love you dad" like a shoe filled with a saliva soaked dog toy.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. The powder and primers have been collected over the past few months, all from cabelas. Just kinda picked up whatever was available for primers until I had one of everything I needed (although still looking for large pistol for my 475L), and found them to have pretty good stores of powder on each trip I've made.

I've been meaning to get a few of the airtight plastic ammo boxes for powder and primers each to store them in the closet in that room. I've been careful to only pull down one powder at a time that I'm using and said canister stays on the desk between my scale and dispenser (along with the "recipe" card currently being used) until each caliber is finished. On finishing each caliber/load, everything is returned to the top shelf, and the next pulled down after referencing the next recipe card and its original source, even if its the same powder. Maybe extreme, but it makes me feel better.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Records. If you don't know where you've been, you can't tell where you're going.

I keep a notebook (yes Virginia, there are those of us that don't use a 'puter program) for each rifle. Anything I've done to it, bedding, etc, and I keep all of my targets, the good, the bad, and the ugly. For targets, I use stickers on regular notebook paper and on the sheet, I note the load detes and the weather conditions and the wind direction, etc.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to reloading. My proposal is that if you intend reloading rifle cartridges and you want to weigh every charge for consistancy, then fit yourself a shelf to the wall in font of you at eye level. It is important that the scale is not influenced by any bumping on the bench or the loose shelve.

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader270:
Welcome to reloading. My proposal is that if you intend reloading rifle cartridges and you want to weigh every charge for consistancy, then fit yourself a shelf to the wall in font of you at eye level. It is important that the scale is not influenced by any bumping on the bench or the loose shelve.

Remarkably good advice this.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Nice set up with Lee. I started with the same stuff 5 years ago and never felt the need to change.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto 7mmnut. Only one powder on the bench at a time. Ask someone (like me) who has loaded the exact amount of the wrong powder and had a disturbing surprise!

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Nice set up. My main comment would be that the table / desk might not be stable / strong enough for bigger calibers. If that is a modular assembly desk, you never know when it might start to wobble.

Here is my set up - may be over kill but it is very stable & it does not clutter up the bench. The press handles are out of the way and do not get bumped (unless I bend down suddenly to pick up something and get a crack on my head!)

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
tu2My first reloading station was far less elaborate than yours. After 57 years and a large variety I've graduated to the same powder dispenser as you are using.May the winds blow as favorably as long for you as they have for me. beerroger
waveLove that Dog

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote