Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Collet vs full length
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
Collets. Use them in every caliber they make them in!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You won't get a definitive answer. There are more ways than one to skin a cat, and what one person prefers may not match another's habits.

I like the collet dies. They can be a bit of a fiddle to get to work - may need a bit of polishing before setup, and they don't work too well with workhardened brass. On the plus side, they are as easy as 1-2-3 to use (no lube required), and they produce very straight ammo. So I also get them for all calibers possible. Another advantage of the Collet dies is that they probably don't work the brass quite as hard as a regular sizing die (bushing dies excluded). That is an important factor in producing straight cases.

My favourite setup (unless I splash out and buy the Redding Competition dies), is a Collet die, a Redding Body die (for when I need to bump the shoulder), and a Forster seater. That is about as good as you can get it for as little layout as possible.

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with mho and POP on this. I love those collet dies.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I prefer full length dies in all my hunting rifles and I full length resize all my hunting loads..I shoot a 300 H&H and it can be neck sized only seveal times before requiring full length resizing if you wish...

Bottom line in all the tests I have conducted, as far as hunting accuracy and case life goes, I see little reason to neck size. for Benchrest where every .001 counts then neck sizing is probably practicle, but I see a lot of bench resters full length resizing these days!

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote