Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Bulk Pistol Bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted
I just purchased 1000 Winchester 38 Cal 125gr JHP's from cabelas for $55. I was wondering what kind of performance/accuracy I should expect from these? I had been shooting Hornady XTP's exclusively but that is getting expensive considering i'm shooting 200 rounds a weekend out of my BlackHawk these days. I don't expect XTP accuracy but I would like to be pleasntly suprsied. Anyone have any expirence with them?

Posts: 182 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you may be pleasantly surprised.
I have been using the Win. bulk pack pistol and rifle for recreational use for quite some time and have been very satisfied with accuracy and performance. Use in 45, 9mm and 38 pistols and 223 rifle-near plated lead prices but MUCH easier to load and shoots great.
See what you think.

Picture of Crimp
posted Hide Post
Waffen, let us know what you think about them.

Posts: 13 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 04 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the Winchester bulk bullets before in 9mm and .357 calibers. They worked really well for me, and were a good deal to boot. I never noticed any accuracy difference between the Winchesters and the XTPs. The Wins often do seem to be a little "softer" in terminal ballistics and expand a bit more.

NRA Life Member
testa virtus magna minimum

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Versifier
posted Hide Post
I use them in 125HP and 158HP, buying them by the case, and have been for 30+ years. There is the occasional revolver that doesn't like one or the other, but they are generally quite accurate with the proper charge behind them. They are not quite as accurate on paper as the Sierras in the same weight and style, but the difference on small game isn't an issue. They expand well at the proper .357mag velocities, I really haven't tested them in .38spec except on paper. They're a great choice for practice and for small game hunting.
That said, they are nowhere near as accurate as properly cast boolits sized .002 over throat diameter and fired in the right revolver. Not all revolvers have consistant throat diameters in all chambers, and many have minor or major constrictions in the forcing cone and/or bore that make them unsuitable for good cast performance without some serious gunsmithing. In such cases, you will see better accuracy with jacketed. But when all factors are favorable, cast is best.

..And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
-Lewis Carroll

Posts: 224 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote