Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sizing brass
 Login/Join

posted
hey guys. after lurking for a while i have a question. i recently had a .308 rifle built...rem 700 action, timney trigger, schlling match barrel, atlas bipod, sure fire muzzle brake and an accuracy international chassis.
id like to reload for it and was wondering about resizing the brass. full length or neck only? pros and cons?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer to use the Partial Full Length method.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Partial full with only a .003 shoulder bump

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When using brass which were shot in other rifles you need to full length resize or alternatively you should chamber each case and when it go in too stiff, you must full length resize. Had problem with difficult chambering of .222 Rem cases from another rifle. A good thing would be to get yourself a case length gauge (think they call it a comperator??). Then measure the length on the shoulder of the brass from an unfired new cartridge. You should then resize the fired brass to +-2 thousands of an inch above that. You would also see that the moment a case is about 4-6 thousands of an inch too long on the shoulder, that it could chamber difficult in your rifle. Some dies sets like RCBS requires "over-chamming" of the press ram to do a proper full lenght resize. Other brands does not require this.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I do partial full length but I had inconsistant results until I started using the hornady head space and OAL gauge with the various caliber bushings.

If you do not get the shoulder set back correct, the cases will chamber tight and the performance / accuracy can be erratic.

For hunting with the hand loads I make sure that the ammo chambers and extracts smoothly and that chambering is not too tight. Accuracy is critical of course.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11243 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my .270 WSM, I have 2 sizing dies. One is set to PFLR and the other adjusted to FL resize. I too use the Hornady "thingy" to set the shoulder to where I want it. For PFLR, the die is adjusted to move the shoulder back about 0.002" - 0.003". To FL resize, I set the die to move the shoulder to the setting I get on a factory, unfired cartridge. After a time of PFLR, you'll have to FL resize and I didn't want to continually adjust/readjust one sizer die.
I prefer to use PFLR cases for all of my shooting/hunting and I ALWAYS run my reloads thru my chamber before hitting the field. IMO, there's no excuse for a handload to not properly chamber. I've never had this problem.
Good luck.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer PFLR using the die set to about .000 to .001 loose for a bolt gun. When setting up this close everything can affect that last .001. The mount of lube used affects it and the speed at which you raise the press ram affects it. To make my case sizing come out this uniform I try to get about the same amount of lube on each case. I size each one slowly with a short dwell at the top of the stroke. Then I retract the ram enough to turn the case 180 degrees then I resize it again slowly with another dwell at the top end of the stroke.

All of this slow redundant business allows the shoulder to take a set at exactly the same place every time. And make sure you use enough lube inside the neck to keep from distorting the case when you pull the expander out.

The only way to know that you have your shoulder location right is using something like the Hornady thingy to check it.

When the cases are all sized exactly the same with a close fit to the chamber you will see improved accuracy.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
x6 on PFLR which I define as follows:

Size entire neck
Size entire case body
Push the shoulder back a minimal amount ~.001" which will give you a very slight crush fit in the chamber

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Guess my definition of PLFR is different than most. To me this means running thru the FL die and resizing about 2/3 to 3/4 of the neck w/o touching the shoulder. If this cannot be accomplished, then I go to FL sizing. Any time to bump the shoulder back you are FL sizing a case. Full Length means you have resized all dimensions the full length of the case. Of couse, you are just setting the FL die correctly when you bump the shoulder 0.001-0.003", but that's just not PFLR.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Not having definitions on sizing is part of the problem.

To me only sizing 2/3 to 3/4 of the neck would be Partial Neck Sizing since you don't size any of the case body or shoulder. Full length sizing would be sizing everything so that there is no contact at the shoulder similar to factory ammo.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Once mine are FLR and then fired I use Lee Collet die on my 308 Win. I'm very happy with the results.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote