New
Find
Notify
Tools

250 silvertip component?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any suggestions on where to find some old winchester 250 caliber 100grain silvertip bullets (component bullet only--not the new ballistic silvertips)? Are there any dealers that specialize in old, hard to find components? I haven't found any on gunbroker or anywhere else. I know there are plenty of other bullets available, but have worked up a really accurate load for a rifle using these old bullets and I've just about run out.

Posts: 76 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Have you tried any new versions? Only place to get old stock components is to haunt gun shows, and old time gun stores. But it is catch and catch can.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have worked up good loads with "newer" bullets, just have a sentimental attachment to the silvertips. Besides that they do a fine job of helping put meat on the table- I like them. I'll keep my eyes open at the local gun shows.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have a sentimental soft spot for the old silver tip myself

However it is merely just a lead tipped bullet covered with a thin aluminum shim cap

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sure, back in the early 60s when I started deer hunting, Silvertip was the "premium" bullet. We look on the "Power Point" as the lesser of the two. In reality, they was little if any difference, certainly not on deer. Which were fairly rare back then, BTW.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
The old silvertips do have a special "magic" but if you can't find them my guess is a good cup and core of the same weight will give you nearly identical results. Winchester Power Points, Sierra Pro Hunters to name a couple that will probably shine.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably have to buy loaded ammo..I bought 12 boxes about two months ago of 250-3f000 Silvertips and some 250 gr. 348 Silvertips..They are excellent bullets and I used them on deer and elk way back yonder with perfect results..

I would be confident that any of the new boneded core bullets would be as good and probably better, not to mention monolithics such as the 85 gr. GS Customs that will give you complete penetration on broadside elk in a 250-3000 about 95% of the time.. I also have about 10 boxes of old Rem. corelokts, but my grandson has confiscated most of them. I can borrow them if need be!! Smiler Roll Eyes

Your best bet is a gun show and a pocket full of luck, but it probably won't happen, however I did buy 5 boxes of old US Western 150 gr. open point expanding bullets at the last Twin Falls gun show. Jack O'Connor praised them highly and I sure liked them in the 1940s and 50s in my .270..They killed great.

Historically Silvertips were great then bad, then great, then bad again, and on and on, they kept fix'en them!!!..so now it would be a crap shoot as to how they would work, if you found them..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42005 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The old silvertips do have a special "magic

Shot by first deer with at same bullet in a sav 99 takedown in 250-3000 45 years ago.

Posts: 19453 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a half dozen boxes of factory loads and they work just fine and are quite accurate in my rifle, but are about 250fps slower than my hand loads. No big deal. I understand a dead deer is a dead deer. I'd just like to get my hands on some if I get a chance. Remember this post and message me if anyone comes across any in their wanderings.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I grew up shooting deer and elk with the 100 gr. WW Silvertips and the 100gr. Rem Corlokts in a 250-3000 mod. 99..It worked then and works today I betcha..Also with 117 gr. Silvertips and Rem Corelokts in the 25-35..

Toda I still have a dozen factory boxes of 100 gr. Silvertips in the 250 Savage and that many in Remington corelokts, and and about the same in the 25-35 Win. not to mention the 87 gr. 250 Savage WW factory loads, but they are just soft points, the 87 gr. WW in the 250 is death on our Texas whitetail.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42005 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote