New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee FL Sizer Reassembly
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So I managed to break the decapper on my 7 Mag die because I forgot to lube a case. Yeah I know... I feel retarded. So now I have a new decapper and can't figure out how in the world you are suppused to get the decapper into the decapper clamp that screws into the top of the die. The SOB just doesn't want to go in. I have been to Lee's website and that was no help. Any one now how to reassemble this sucker?

Posts: 113 | Location: Cajun Country | Registered: 12 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beats me, but I think it's a "squeeze" fit,
so I'd take the top cap right out of the die
and push the decapper in from the bottom.
The locking piece should "spread" under pressure
and has to be REAL tight on assembly to stop
the rod from slipping.
If no one else can help let me know and I'll go
disamble mine.
I just broke a Hornady couple of days ago, an RCBS couple of years ago, and I've only been reloading 47 years. . . Getting sillier.
JL

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I found out it is a squeeze fit but I have to spread the collet open then work the decapper in. Then get it flush and tighten the hell out of it.

Posts: 113 | Location: Cajun Country | Registered: 12 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Monticello,
Don't "tighten the hell out of it". Adjust and tighten untill the decapping stem will resist the force of the case pulling BACK over the resizing ball. Having the collet too tight is how you broke the decaping pin to start with. If it's just right, the pin will slip up under the pressure of the ram and the die will be saved.

If you can't have fun when you go out, STAY HOME !

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puncher:
Having the collet too tight is how you broke the decaping pin to start with. If it's just right, the pin will slip up under the pressure of the ram and the die will be saved.

You may have to enlighten me on all that.
The best I can say is you are talking about
something else.
IF an unlubed case is forced into a FLS die
it doesn't affect the decapper.
When trying to remove case the rim will shear off. (Still no damage to the decapper, whether
loose tight or not even present.)
Lee then advises to "tap" on the decapper after
loosening it. (This may damage the decapper)
After installing a new one (if needed) it should
be quite firm as it sets it's own depriming length. Then it needs to be (in Lee's own words,) "Considerable torque may be necessary".
(to retighten for use.)
This is to stop the thing from going up and down
as it pleases, as it's only a squeese fit.
JL.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote