New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Powder choice for 9mm and .45 ACP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay, I have been through all the search pages looking for a good "all-around" powder for my 9mm and .45's. I have been stuck overseas for many years and haven't done any reloading for a LONG time. I would like to get started again aspecially after seeing ammo prices since returning!!!

I have 3 .45's: A Colt Officers Model, Kahr PM45, and 1911 Model. I shoot the Officers and Kahr the most as these are my CCW guns. I am wanting a powder that is good for these short barreled .45's. I also have several 9mm's and they run the gamet similar to my .45's one longer barreled and the rest short barreled. I am looking for a powder I can use in both of these calibers that gives good (high) velocities and is accurate.
I used Unique in years past but remember it being a "dirty" powder. Generally used 296,H110,and 2400 in my Magnum handguns. But I don't believe these are good for the short case autos.
ANy help would be greatly appreciated.
Oh, Gunshow this weekend and I'm going to stock up.Smiler

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get some Accurate Arms #5. It is their answer to Unique. I use it for just about every handgun round I load, from 32 Magnum to 45 Colt.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just started to reload for the 45 and used titegroup 5.1gr with a 230 gr bullet. Shoots well in my gun as well as a friend of mine.

Started using it since it had a load for 9mm as well, but haven't got around to that gun yet.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always used Unique.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of allensee
posted Hide Post
I use Unique and W231 with better than average results.

Posts: 78 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Shooter973
posted Hide Post
Bullseye will do very well in both of these calibers. wave
Theres a reason it's called Bullseye. And it very cheap to use, small charge weights! thumb

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posts: 347 | Location: Ogden, Utah (Home of John M. Browning) | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to try and see what I can pick up at the gunshow this weekend. I used to have good luck with unique but it was always sorta dirty. May try the Bullseye. ANother other comments???

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Pat's reloading has surplus Russian shotgun powder called SALUT which works well in auto pistols. Comes in a 5.3 lb jar for $58.00. I have 11 lbs coming. They also have a powder called WW297 which is a touch slower that Win 296 and good for magnum pistol for $89.00 for 8 lbs.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I see any of this Rusky powder I may grab some to try it. I remember getting some kind of surplus powder many years ago that was for 5.56 that was pretty cheap.

posted Hide Post
I am also a big fan of Titegroup. It works well in 9mm, 40, and 45.

Custom Reloads of Dallas

Posts: 9 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shooter973:
Bullseye will do very well in both of these calibers. wave
Theres a reason it's called Bullseye. And it very cheap to use, small charge weights! thumb

WST is really a better choice than TG or Clays or BE IMO. It burns cleaner than BE or Clays, has a slightly wider load range & absolutely the best accuracy of any target load I can put together in 45acp.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I always used Unique.

This.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do and have used Unique. Just a little dirty from my remembrance of it.

The WST looks promising but going through the Hogdon load data site it seems the Titgroup may be more universal. I can't see the WST listed as being used in 9mm or smaller calibers.
Remember, I want this mostly for all around plinking and basic paper punching not bullseye competition. Just looking for something I can use in several guns to use for keeping up with shooting form.technique. And above all....I'm trying to cut down on having to store so many different powders.
Guess it'll come down to what they have on the tables at the gunshow. Titegroup or WST seems to be the best choices though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue Dot is a good choice if you want max velocities in those two calibers.

NRA Life Member
testa virtus magna minimum

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
Pat's reloading has surplus Russian shotgun powder called SALUT which works well in auto pistols. Comes in a 5.3 lb jar for $58.00. I have 11 lbs coming. They also have a powder called WW297 which is a touch slower that Win 296 and good for magnum pistol for $89.00 for 8 lbs.

I helped an old guy move.
He had a lots of Ford V8s and lots of reloading stuff.

He may have 10 years left to live, but at the rate he is using it, he has 10,000 years worth of pistol and shotgun powder.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Not sure where you're going with that other than a reference to hoarding; of which I am somewhat guilty. Mostly I just want to make sure the local volunteer fire department knows they have one house they can stand back and watch burn at no risk to themselves hilbily

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote