New
Find
Notify
Tools

CT Fail Safe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently bought some 168gr CT Fail Safes to test in my 300 RUM and they shot outstanding. One ragged hole at 100 yds. I am so impressed with this load. I was wondering how it would perform on whitetails say 175lb-225lb. Any input helps. Thanks

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Better bust em' in the shoulder we tried them In a couple of 300 Win MAgs and 270 WIn several years back and they penciled like heck on lung shots. Some of the deer were lost and some ran a loooong ways. They'll bust through both shoulders and not do too much damage. You could sure go at them at any angle.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Reloader's post pretty much mirrors my experience.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree with Reloader too. I shoot the Failsafe 160's in my 7mag. Yes, they are very accurate but tend to sail right through on broad side shots. So far I've recovered all the animals I've hit, five deer, but have not revovered a bullet yet. Complete pass throughs, every time. I've been thinking of tring one of the new bonded bullets, such as the Nosler's, Swift's or Hornady's. I should still have good accuracy but a little more expansion (knock down).
Woody

Posts: 51 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They have been devistating out of 30/06. I loaded some 180 grains for my buddy and he loves them. They make a big wound channel. Never recovered any of them. Broke inside shoulder and exited. Also very accurate out of his A bolt. He has not had to do a second shot for any of his six deer. We are in Wisconsin so the deer here are good size. One was a trophy. I wish they would make some for the 25 calibers. (I use the X instead there)

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote