one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted
I've got a load for my 7mmRM that is usually very accurate-
160gr Barnes X Bullet
63 gr RL22
Fed 215 Mag Rifle Primer
WW Case.

I gave my barrel a thorough cleaning, oiled the barrel, then used a dry patch.

The first group was extremly weird. The rifle is zeroed fro 200 metres, and I was shooting at 200 metres.

1st shot-
Elavation- 2" high
Windage- 0.0
2nd-
E-0.0
W-2" left
3rd-
E-2" high
W-0.0
4th-
E-0.0
W- 2" left

As you can see, the first and third shots were right beside each other, as were the second and fourth. I fired another shot.
5th-
E- 1" high
W- 0.0

So I was getting closer to my POA.

I fired two more groups, both of which had two close holes, with one flyer.

I shot only one more group, as I was running out of this type of ammo (I really had just meant to sight in)

This group was a nice triangle, 1.5" in size.

The last time I was shooting X bullets,(in this rifle) I did find the accuracy improved after about a dozen shots.

I always understood that X bullets liked a squeaky clean barrel. Anybody else have a similar result to mine?

Also, could there be anything wrong with my rifle? The scope mountings all are tight.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
Is it possible your action is walking around in the stock? Is it bedded? Is this the only load it does it in?

posted Hide Post
Gatehouse,
I think that you are cleaning too well. The advice that the 'X' requires a clean bore refers to pre-existing fouling from other types of bullets. That fouling can strip off large amounts of copper from the 'X'.

What is the usual accuracy of this load?

Don't clean your rifle down to the bare metal next time, and see if your groups stay tight. Barring a real problem with your rifle, I bet they will.

'X' bullets have NEVER shot well in my rifles (even after cleaning the bore fastidiously). I've tried them in two different .25-06s capable of half-MOA accuracy, a .30-06 that shoots sub-MOA, a .300Wby. that shoots sub-MOA, and a .35Whelen that shot MOA (all with standard bullets).
Accuracy was never better than 2.5MOA, and usually much worse.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
I have found X bullets very, very difficult to develop loads for. Only in 30 cal I have I suceeded in quality loads.

I have a 243 that shoots half MOA with just aout anything, loaded some X bullets, throughly cleaned the bore and got some 2' groups at 100 yards. That's right 2 feet, usually they aren;t that bad, but I know what you are talking about.

I have found that the X bullet will double your group size normally, and only with a bit of refinemnet can you get them shooting well.

Terry Blauwkamp has extensive experince with the Barnes, prehaps he will chime in on this one.

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
I heard from a god source that the Barnes X likes to be no closer to the rifling than 0.050". Not sure why that is, but it could be something to do with your problem.

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe they require the extra space from the lands because the solid construction is not compressed or engraved as easily as a conventional copper over lead bullet. If they are seated too close to the lands I have been told that excess pressure builds because the bullet has no momentum to start the "engraving" process. I have had zero luck with these bullets in the accuracy department. I have a box of 165gr. in .30 cal and if I can find them, someone can have them for the shipping.

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
Going by my experience, those are normal Barnes X groups from a factory barrel.

It seems to me that most factory barrels won't shoot Barnes bullets well. Try GS Custom for an alternative that seems to shoot well in factory barrels. Try the HV or FN, I think the HPs are just like Barnes.

I have not tried them, but the Lost River Ballistics bullets may have the same benefit.

It's my hypothesis that the "driving bands" are the secret.

Don

[This message has been edited by Don G (edited 08-09-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I READ WHERE THE X-BULLETS START OPENING UP AT 1600 FPS.DO YOU ALL THINK THIS IS POSSIBLE AND COULD BE CAUSING THE FLYERS WHEN LOADED PRETTY HOT?I LOADED SOME IN A .270 WEATHERBY,AND THEY SHOT 1 INCH GROUPS AT 100 YARDS,SO I REALLY CAN NOT ATTEST TO THAT.

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
sll,

I think the Barnes bullets start opening up after they hit something if they are 1600 fps or faster. below that speed they are likely to just drill through.

Don

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
The last time I was shooting this load, I got groups like the last one I fired- about 1.5" at 200 yards. Usually two holes would touch or come close.

The bullets are seated close, but not touching, the lands. I have found that the closer they are, the better they shoot, just like most bullets. I know a fellow- very good shooter- that seats them to almost touching, and doesn't worry about the pressure. He believes that the pressure increase would be marginal, and maybe he is right?

I think GeorgeS might be correct about the barrel being TOO clean, and I wondered if anybody has had a similar experience- with any bullet for that matter!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Super 88>
posted
Try using the Lee Factory Crimp die as it seems to give a smaller standard deviation which has resulted in smaller groups for me in all my rifles,regardless of caliber, to the tune of sub-MOA at maximum velocity and pressures.