New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer Hot-Cor
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just loaded up some 145 Grn Speer SP (Hot-Cor) for my 7mm-08 and was surprised at the accuracy. With a max load of 48.0Grn of IMR 4350 I was getting a muzzle velocity of 2,830 FPS and 1/2" groups.

Anyone here have field experience with the Hot-Cor's in any caliber? I would primarilly be hunting whitetails with these. Shots would be from up close up to 250 Yds. How do they perform on game? How do they compare to Sierra or Hornady standard bullets?

Thanks

firstshot
----------------------------------
Make your first shot count.

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only Speer Hot-core I have used is the 165 gr. 30 caliber spitzer flat base. In my .308 Win. Rifle, every deer I've shot with them has been a complete pass through except one. That one was facing me head on and the bullet entered the chest, went through a 200 pound Mule deer and stopped against a back leg bone, breaking it. Deer was at 250 yards laser measured. I think your 143 gr. bullet should work just fine for your purposes.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 130 grain in a 7X57 for w/t deer and the 250 grain in a .358 for elk. They have always performed fine for me and I have never recovered one. I have confidence they will work fine if put in the right spot.

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
At the velocity you are shooting them at, these bullets will perform extremely well on deer-sized game.

And, the performance is quite similar to the Sieea GKs and Hornady ILs. You can expect ample tissue destruction and plenty of penetration -- and generally an exit on most broadside presentations.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First Shot:

Man, sounds like those 145 grain Speer's really shoot well for you. That is good velocity for that rifle with that weight of bullet.

I have shot a fair number of wild hogs and deer with the Speer Hot-Cor bullets from a 7mm Rem Mag and a 300 Win Mag. They always worked well for me. They performed virtually the same as the Sierra's and Hornady's I tried.

I did a test one time shooting into wet newspapers at 100 yards with the 7mm Rem Mag. I tried Hornadys, Remington Cor-Locts, Speer Hot Cores, Sierra Game Kings, and Nosler Partitions. The only bullet that out penetrated the Speer was the Nosler Partition.

Sounds to me like you have found a great load.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First Shot The 145 gr Speer bullet in a 7mm/08 will be fine on deer. I've used that bullet in one of my 280's for years and the 160 in a 7mm rem mag. Both will provide dependable performance on deer.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'm planning on using the same bullet out of my .280 this year for antelope. Be picky about a shot up close though, these do come apart rather quickly if impacting above 2800fps, unless you get one off the muzzle, should be fine w/ your 7-08.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like it would be an ideal whitetail load. I'm getting same size groups from the 140 Sierra Game kings, but had read that the "Hot-Cor" was a litle stouter so I thought I'd give them a try.

quote:
R Flowers: The only bullet that out penetrated the Speer was the Nosler Partition.

This confirms what I've read elsewhere.

I had actually dedided to use 154 Hdy Round Nose this year until someone pointed out how much they were affected by wind. Trajectory wasn't an issue as I'm using a Burris 3-9x40 w/BPlex reticle, but the wind drift of the RN could be extreme.

The 145 SP has a BC of .457, so it bucks the wind a heck of a lot better than the RN. Also, using the BPlex reticle, I'm within 1/2 inch of aim point out to 300 Yds. (Within 1" at 400 & 500 Yds but I would never take a shot that far)

Keep the performance on game comments comming....I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.

firstshot
--------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Posts: 213 | Location: North West Arkansas | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
these do come apart rather quickly if impacting above 2800fps, unless you get one off the muzzle, should be fine w/ your 7-08.

fredj338

At 50 yds I'm at 2,730 FPS, at 100 Yds 2,632 FPS. I think I should be Ok unless he's right on top of me.

firstshot
----------------------------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found the .30 cal 180 gr Round Noses to be quite hard and give exits with .30 cal in's and out's on most occasions unless hitting spine and then it still gave me exits. Being a non-premium it's not ment to do that is supposed to fail......had great resulst with the other shitty bullet the speer 9.3 270 gr as well Confused

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
You should be fine, just thought I would point out my observation shooting them @ a bit higher vel., I run them close to 3000fps from my .280. They can be explosive if impact vel. gets up there. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 130 gr. 7mm spitzer Hot Cor blew up on a small bear, not once, but twice. Impact was only about 2400 - 2500 fps. The first bullet ricocheted off the skull without penetrating, the second shattered on the shoulder. That was the end of Hot Cors for me.

Before that, I used the 145 7mm Hot Cor, but it sometimes failed to expand at 7-30 Waters velocities.

Hot Cores and the like are OK for cheap practice but now I only use premium bullets for big game. I just wish Nosler made a 130 gr. 7mm partition.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yeah pop, the 130gr Speer is almost a varmint bullet. I only use them in my 10" 7mmTCU. The 145gr woulkd have performed better @ that impact vel.

One of Us
Picture of brytstar
posted Hide Post
Ihave been using Speer 120gr FB Spitzers in my 257AI. Have killed 5 deer in the last five years with itand all have been one shot kills without much running aftere being hit. Last year I recover the bullet, it was an almost perfect mushroom and still weighed 87 grains. In tne western Maryland mountains you don;t need the expensive premium bullets.

In politics as in theology! "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, But the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Posts: 200 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Hot-Cors worked well for me a long time back, but I upgraded to the Speer Grand Slam. For whitetails and hogs, I think they are extremely hard to beat. Accurate as the dickens, and the same load that works with the Hot-Cor will work for the GS, since they have the same bearing surface.
Years ago I shot a doe in the TX hill country with a 130 GS out if my 270 at a distance of 206 paces. The bullet went in the rear part of the front leg, entered the body between ribs 5 and 6, pulverized the lungs, and took out the sixth rib on the off side. The exit hole looked like it had been cut with a hole saw. The rib it hit wasn't even shattered; the bullet just took out the meat up to ribs five and seven.
They aren't worth a dime on big stuff, as far as I am concerned, but I have shot a LOT of deer and hogs with them, and am always tickled with how they produce. I would recommend you upgrade to a GS. They just don'r come apart on deer-sized game.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your replies!!!! I really appreciate the input!! I'm going to see how the Speer 145 Hot-Cor's group at 200 Yds and if they do well, I'll more than likely be using them this season.

firstshot
--------------------------------------