New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 brass
 Login/Join

<waldog>
posted
There is a peculariar shortage of 7mm mauser brass in my area. And being the resourceful though impatient guy that I am, I figure I can purchase some .257 Roberts or 6mm Remington and just neck it up. Can anyone divine a reason to use one headstamp over the other?

Thanks in advance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you use the 257 brass you won't have to expand the neck as far. .284-.243=.041, .284-.257=.027. Midway usually has 7x57 brass in stock, you ought to be able to get some from them pretty quick and save yourself the hassle.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Waldog;

In a pinch, I have necked up both 257 and 6mm Rem to 7 x 57. My preference is Winchester brass.

The 257 Brass is the + P type. Remington's has a heavier case to it, so the same amount of powder will mean higher pressures.

The 6mm Rem brass ( In Winchester) is the same story. The 6mm Remington cartridge is rated at 65,000 psi in SAAMI specs. If you are not overboard on the pressures in the 7 x 57 loads, either route work well.

I prefer the 257 route, just because I don't have to open the neck as much as I do on 6mm cases. 257 is almost 6.5 mm ( .264).

Good luck.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why bother?

Go to Midway www.midwayusa.com

They've got 7X57 brass in stock by Norma, Remington, and Winchester.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote