Find
Notify
Tools

350 grain 375 H&H - Northfork FPS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted
Started down the path of loading a few different batches of 350 grain Northfork FPS (.375 H&H) to try, but the only powders I presently have are IMR 4350 and IMR 3031. 4350 takes up more space than the case will allow (NF FPS are long - not as bad as Barnes, but close). I couldn't find anything for IMR 3031 in .375 H&H heavier than 235 grain aside from a few forum posts related to 270 grain bullets.

I'm looking for 2300 fps, plus or minus, but there must be a good reason why 3031 falls off the radar when .375 bullet weights top 235 grains? Too much pressure in this case design? I use it in my .450 3-1/4" NE, but that's a different animal.

Nothfork recommends RL15 and RL17. Any one else have experience with the heavy NFs (or Barnes 350 grain TSX)?

Thanks,

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Steve's reloading pages suggest 68-72 grains of H4350 for a 350 grn bullet

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could always use Barnes data as a starting point based on their TSX 350 gn -

http://www.barnesbullets.com/files/2017/09/375HH.pdf

I have only ever used Woodleighs RNSN 350 gn. In my R93 Blaser with 25 inch barrel the best powders was AR 2208 ( Varget ) around 65.00 - 66.00 gns for about 2340 fps. My charge is a lot higher than Barnes but I have no pressure issues.
I would think RL15 should also deliver the fps you want. RL17 was less satisfactory for me.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2082 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
You could always use Barnes data as a starting point based on their TSX 350 gn -

http://www.barnesbullets.com/files/2017/09/375HH.pdf

I have only ever used Woodleighs RNSN 350 gn. In my R93 Blaser with 25 inch barrel the best powders was AR 2208 ( Varget ) around 65.00 - 66.00 gns for about 2340 fps. My charge is a lot higher than Barnes but I have no pressure issues.
I would think RL15 should also deliver the fps you want. RL17 was less satisfactory for me.

Thanks. NF suggested they get better results with RL17 for their bullets, but RL15 is the one listed in almost all the reloading tables and forums.

JEB Katy, TX

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I used Woodleigh 350's on safari. With my P64 M70 66.5gr of RL15 gave me 2409 ave MV with the PP's. I don't have the data on the solids but the load was close to the PP's.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
If you gotta use the long ones, W760 (H414) will allow seating to proper depth. Crimp at the cannelure to avoid over-seating under recoil.

I tried RHINO 380- and 350-grainers, Barnes, SWIFT's etc. but settled for Woodleighs because they are shorter and I could get enough IMR 4831 to have semi-compressed loads in my .375 Weatherby chamber and not have the bullets OAL move.

IMR 4350 was no good, like you've said with your H&H. Can you get ahold of some IMR 4320? IMR 4064? Katy Mills Bass Pro ain't far away.

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
If you gotta use the long ones, W760 (H414) will allow seating to proper depth. Crimp at the cannelure to avoid over-seating under recoil.

I tried RHINO 380- and 350-grainers, Barnes, SWIFT's etc. but settled for Woodleighs because they are shorter and I could get enough IMR 4831 to have semi-compressed loads in my .375 Weatherby chamber and not have the bullets OAL move.

IMR 4350 was no good, like you've said with your H&H. Can you get ahold of some IMR 4320? IMR 4064? Katy Mills Bass Pro ain't far away.

Found some IMR 4320 at Carters Country yesterday. Will try that this weekend.

JEB Katy, TX

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am curious.

Why would you want to use a heavier bullet than 300 in the 375 H&H?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68662 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
If it holds all 60.5 grains (after working up) your speed will likely mirror Barnes data (listed in above post by 30.06king). FWIW, IMR 4320 and 4064 with 250-grainers will disappoint at 300 yards. That's where RL-15 steps in. My Brno .375 Wby Mag is basically 3" high at 100-yards and 3" low at 300 yard with 250-grain TTSX (speed around 2800 fps, but that's Wby Mag not H&H, and you're talking 350-grainers.)

Saeed, some people want to turn their .375 into a .416 that way. It's a money thing or not wanting to have two big guns they will seldom use. Your wildcat has it all beat anyhow!

Posts: 4881 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I am curious.

Why would you want to use a heavier bullet than 300 in the 375 H&H?

Even when we're after elephant, We've always taken the .375 has a backup to the doubles. I like the heavier bullet if its going to used for ele - just my preference. Had some factory Norma PH 350 grain (Woodleigh), but they're almost gone now. We've had good luck with NF FPS in the 450 3-1/4, so I'm going to try it the .375.

Plus, now that I've started tinkering with reloading, I like to experiment.

JEB Katy, TX

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have no idea how many buffalo and elephants I have shot with a 300 grain 375 bullets.

Non of them complained clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68662 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote