New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Weatherby brass from 300 WM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone tried to form 7mm Weahterby brass from 300 Win mag brass. It looks like you could make them by trimming the 300 brass and then runiingit thruough the 7mm die. 300 Win mag brass is much cheaper and more readily available.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although a little shorter I think 7mm Rem brass will be easier. I never shot any but one day a mate and myself ran 7mm Rem cases through his full size dies for 257 and 270 Wby. They come out looking like a Wby shoulder but with shorter neck and chambered in his rifles.

If you use the 300 Win then some of its shoulder will become the 7mm Wby neck and will be thicker brass and might likely require neck reaming or neck turning.

As a side note I have often seen Wby brass for sale on gunbroker and I think gunsamerica. 257 or 270 cases would be fine. Some of it is new brass but old stuff when they used to have pcitures of tigers and elephants etc on the packets.

You might also try

http://www.weatherbycollectors.com/

There is a small forum there of Wby users and with some buying and selling activity on brass.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If anyone decides to make Wby cal brass from 7mm rem or 300 win cases REMEMBER that the cases made from win or Rem or other brass will have less internal capacity than the WBY brass will have.Loads that are safe in Wby brass may be excessive in other brass.Some will counter than Win brass is harder and will handle higher pressures. I am merely suggesting you be careful. By the way the only brass my 257 Wby has ever seen is formed from 264 Win brass and 7mm Wby has seen a fair bit of brass formed from 7mm Rem. They work just fine.Just don't mix loads designed for Wbt brass in with them. Wink

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why is there a difference in case capacity? I take it that the Weatherby brass must be thin walled?

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The post by snowman is right on the money.

If you are going to make Weatherby cases from Remington, Winchester, Federal, or whatever, then you will likely have to reduce the powder charge.

Even in factory cases, there is a sizable difference. In my 300 Wby Magnum I have to reduce my powder charge 1.5 grains when loading Remington brass as compared to Weatherby brass.

And I have been warned by several others that Federal Nickel Plated Premium brass has considerably less capacity in the 7mm Wby Magnum than does the Weatherby brass.

Not sure it is worth the trouble. Weatherby brass is expensive, but it is not THAT bad and you don't need a bunch of it like you might for a 22-250 or such.

Remington used to make good brass for the 7mm Wby Mag, but they stopped a few years back and that supply has probably about dried up.

R F

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote